Suggestions for toothbrushes and toothpaste?

ColoradoCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, all. I was snuggling my 5 month old kitten, Cassiopeia, today and noticed that she seems to have a bit of gingivitis (slightly red gums near teeth). I plan to ask the vet about it when I take her in for her FeLV booster shot within the next couple of weeks, but I'd like to start brushing her teeth as soon as possible as a preventative measure. Does anyone have any suggestions as to the best toothbrushes and toothpastes for cats?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
CET poultry flavored toothpaste is popular. Seafood is another flavor many cats like.

You can get a starter kit. The one with the mini cat toothbrush rather than the full sized toothbrush is best.

You can buy CET products online from Chewy and Amazon and other places. Your vet may even sell CET products. The brand is not sold in chain pet stores (Petco, etc) but small independent pet stores may sell it.

Pet stores do sell various brands of pet toothpastes and brushes if you prefer to buy at a local store.

StanAndAlf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't manually brush my cats teeth, so I can't help with toothpaste recommendations, but I have heard baby toothbrushes are suitable. Also great that you are asking your vet about it!

Personally I use raw bones and gizzards, which do a great job and my cats go nuts over it. I won't push this idea on to you, but if you'd like to know more I'm happy to help ;)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ColoradoCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. I ended up ordering the C.E.T. toothbrush LTS3 recommended. I'm also thinking of getting her some dental chews and would appreciate any recommendations for those as well.

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
For toothbrushes, I’d recommend looking into Curaprox 1006 once you need a new on in a few months time. The size of the brush head is similar, but the longer handle makes it much easier to maneouver, ime.

For dental chews, you’re best off giving raw chicken neck or gizzard, if anything.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Most dental chews are useless. They're no different from any regular hard treat. The only dental chews I would suggest trying are the CET dental ones. The pieces are large and chewy so a cat really has to work at it to break it up.

Raw poultry gizzards and hearts and small raw bones like a chicken neck bone or a wing tip bone offer dental benefits. Not all cats will touch raw bones and organs, though.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is it possible that your cat has sore gums because of teething.
My cats had the same at that age, and their breath was killing me, so I used a soothing gel for their gums, rather than a toothpaste.

Later on I bought two tiny toothbrushes and toothpaste for them, when all adult teeth were alright. Thetoothbrush fits perfectly in their mouths.

Kitty Toothbrush.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ColoradoCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is it possible that your cat has sore gums because of teething.
My cats had the same at that age, and their breath was killing me, so I used a soothing gel for their gums, rather than a toothpaste.

Later on I bought two tiny toothbrushes and toothpaste for them, when all adult teeth were alright. Thetoothbrush fits perfectly in their mouths.

View attachment 397577
She's about five months old. Would she be teething around this time? Also, do you have any recommendations for soothing gels?

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's about five months old. Would she be teething around this time? Also, do you have any recommendations for soothing gels?
Cats start teething around three months of age, when they change the front teeth, the tiny ones. At 4 to 5 months they change the canine teeth and the rear ones.
Teething is a rather painful process and gums can be affected.
I live in Italy, what I used might be not available in other countries
Restomyl® Gel - Per la salute della mucosa orale
but I'm sure you can find something as good in your area.