Suggestions for Samantha's congestion

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
Our little Tabby Samantha is plagued by a lot of snot/mucus, has been for awhile now which we think is most likely allergies. She was one of the cats that we took in from our backyard years ago, she was born here along with her brother Socks and her mother Sabrina so we know her history. But she gets very blocked up, sneezes at times and a lot of snot comes out. Aside from taking her to the vet, which we will do if needed, but I know they always like to give them an antibiotic shot and a lot of times I don't think it is needed and can be harmful, what could we do for her? We do try to add Lysine to their food which helps, but she doesn't eat much wet food mostly dry so we add it to that when we see that she is eating. She also always has had a sensitive stomach, she eats and throws up pretty often, we tried the sensitive stomach food which didn't seem to help much, but otherwise she is fine, very affectionate little thing so we would like to try to get her some relief from this.

dragonlady2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We have a cat with similar issues. We took a small dog crate and covered it with a towel. We put her in and in the front we placed a clothes/fabric steamer for10 to 15 minutes. It created a steam tent for her. Twice a day and it really helped with the mucus. We would feed her right after because she was cleared up enough so she could smell the food.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
We have a cat with similar issues. We took a small dog crate and covered it with a towel. We put her in and in the front we placed a clothes/fabric steamer for10 to 15 minutes. It created a steam tent for her. Twice a day and it really helped with the mucus. We would feed her right after because she was cleared up enough so she could smell the food.
Good idea! Maybe I'll try it for myself too, sinuses are terrible today lol!

Thanks!

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
She also always has had a sensitive stomach, she eats and throws up pretty often
Just out of curiosity, is she throwing up because she eats too fast? If so, there are several tips to slow down her eating habits as well as special dishes designed for this purpose.

Along the lines of what D dragonlady2 suggested you could take her into the bathroom with you, turn the shower on using hot water only and steam the room.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
Just out of curiosity, is she throwing up because she eats too fast? If so, there are several tips to slow down her eating habits as well as special dishes designed for this purpose.

Along the lines of what D dragonlady2 suggested you could take her into the bathroom with you, turn the shower on using hot water only and steam the room.
I don't know, she doesn't seem to eat fast but I don't know.

And great suggestion about the bathroom, when I told Deb the suggestion about the steamer she reminded me that we did take Sebastian into the bathroom and did what you said years ago; then she got tears in her eyes because he was her favorite. :alright: :rbheart: