Suggestions for pancreatitis

BellaBlue82

Sadie rules, Julian drools, my boys rule heaven ❤
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi all!
I know this a subject that consistently pops up around here, but I wanted to see if I could Garner some suggestions for pancreatitis and what worked/didn't work for your furries.
Nico is a diabetic, with HBP (though we'll controlled on a low dose of Amlodipine). Last week he threw up a few times, Wednesday and Friday. Honestly, other than his glucose going way up I wouldn't have known anything was wrong! I took him to the vet clinic Friday and they indicated he must have some inflammation going on. Granted they are like an urgent care, so they weren't able to do much testing. We can home with a three day dose of Onsior and Cerenia.
After a call to my regular vet, we scheduled some time to bring him in for the pancreas lipase test and general blood work.
In the mean time, I'm curious if there's additional steps I can take to help his inflammation? He's already getting the Cerenia, which I'm trying to ween him from since he seems to be doing better, along with glucosamine chondroitin. I have some B12, would that perhaps help? He's also receiving extra fluids at the vets suggestion.
I appreciate any feedback, hopefully I'll be well prepared next time he has a flare up!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
B12 is useful for cats with pancreatitis. Are you sure you want to decrease the cerenia yet? Also, are you able to get him to drink more water?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BellaBlue82

Sadie rules, Julian drools, my boys rule heaven ❤
Alpha Cat
Purraise
B12 is useful for cats with pancreatitis. Are you sure you want to decrease the cerenia yet? Also, are you able to get him to drink more water?
Thank you! Yeah, I just tried decreasing the Cerenia and it looks like that won't work lol, I could tell. He's only about two hours behind a dose so I just gave it to him. I only have two doses left, I might ask for more.
Yes, I'm making sure he has more water too. I just cleaned and refilled his water fountain and have been adding water to his wet food, he seems to like that. 😊

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Our cat had two flare ups with pancreatitis - the first time our regular vet ran the fPLI and did a complete blood panel. The second time our vet was closed so we went to a veterinary specialty hospital since they have an adjacent 24 hr. emergency clinic. They did an ultrasound which proved helpful. Every cat is different but our guy did not get cerenia, however, he was on prednisolone. It worked for him along with mirtazapine because he had a decreased appetite.

I'm glad your vet will run the fPLI and CBC. I hope Nico feels better soon and the tests will address some of your concerns. 🤗