Suggestions for overly curious kitten?

PoppyLove

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi guys, I have a beautiful almost six month old gray tabby named Poet. She is really sweet but 100 times more curious than any cat that I have ever had before. I have for her two cat tree, a scratcher,lots of toys including soft ones, sting ones, spinners and ping pong balls, she has lots of Windows to look out but she still is always getting into things, I rearrange my house every day to make sure that she is safe but I am worried because she is always finding something new. I have also needed to keep raising a pet gate that I brought which is almost five feet tall now to make sure that she dose not run out the door. Dose anyone have any suggestions on keeping a cat from jumping over a gate, she is about 7 pounds now, as she gets older and heavier will she be able to jump higher or less, I might have to instal a new custom made door? Another question is will she ever out grew this curious nature? I love that she is so live,y but I never want her to get hurt being so curious. If anyone has any suggestion on a puzzle toy or idea for a kitten who loves to explore please let me know.
Ps. Here is the cutie

Attachments

Last edited:

DB89014

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She is a cutie! Do you try to make her run after a laser pointer or something to get some of her energy out? I also have taken a handful of dry food and throw it across the room one piece at a time, my cats like to chase it so that helps tire them out a little bit too. As for the door is it your front door to the outside you're trying to block?

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
out the door you mean making a dash out the front door when your leaving or coming back home?if thats the case you can train a cat to stay at a spot with lots and lots of treats and patiencei did with graycie :rolleyes: buut some how she has manipulated that into getting treats any time we leave now to rather than once we get home .i got played on that some how but basicly you need to get your cat to know that getting those treats is lots better than seeing whats outside sopick a spot away from the door and get her used to the idea that when she sits in that area waiting she gets treats and only when she waits in that spoti use the area next to graycies treat box so she has figured out where to go when i ask if she wants treats and now waits there before we leave and before we open the door to get inside she gets her treats but only if she is in that spot sometimes she gets lazy and doesnt get up until were inside getting settled she still gets one just for not being by the door also is you cat spayed? and cats can jump really high this pic of graycie on wall mounted ac is over a 5 foot vertical leap from that tv stand so dont underestimate how high a cat can jump

Attachments

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
More she lives inside the less likely she will want to go out. A bowl with tad poles
Ripple rug, dvd with birds, outside I have a hanging platform feeder filled with whole peanuts for the blue jays and cardinals,ground platform feeders,hanging bird feeders. Tons of birds

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

PoppyLove

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much everyone! She is spayed and is strictly indoor, I live on a busy street so I don't feel safe letting her outside. The laser pointer and throwing the treats are a good idea! Teaching her how to stay is also a great idea! The door that I am trying to block off is my back doowhere we come in and out. Thank you all so much again!

PoppyLove

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is how I try and block her off from the door but she still jumps over, my house has an open floor plan so I can't keep her just in a few rooms. I know someone once mentioned an accordion door but I'm not sure if I can drill into the plaster fall. Any other suggestions would be apprciated. Thank you!

Attachments

DB89014

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure if this would work for you, but I've attached pictures of the set up I have in my doorway. The bottom gate has a people door thats easy to open and close and I just take down the middle gate when I want to go through and duck a little so I don't hit my head on the top gate lol but no one can get through

Attachments

PoppyLove

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for that idea, do you know where you got the gates and do they stay onto the wall well? Do you guys think that when she gets bigger she will be too heavy to jump so high, right now she grabs onto the top bar and pulls herself up? Thanks again for the help.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You can also used canned air. A squirt when the door it opened will teach her not to go there. There's a product called Sssscat! That has sensors and will squirt air when the sensor is tripped.

DB89014

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If they are installed properly they stay up there well I give them a pretty good tug to make sure they're secure and they don't budge. They just have to be expanded enough to get a tight fit. I added the links for the gates below hopefully they work. I reinforced the bottom gate with chicken wire because the cats could have squeezed through otherwise. It may seem like an annoying method but it really just takes a second to put the gate up and down once you get used to it. Im not so sure about once she's full grown adult cats can jump pretty high

CARLSON PET PRODUCTS Extra Wide Walk-Thru Gate with Pet Door - Chewy.com

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0746RGRL3/?tag=thecatsite

PoppyLove

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much everyone I really apprciate it!