Suggestions For Non-toxic House Plants?

Arirang

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello, all! TL;DR available at the bottom!

I'm wanting to beautify and enrich my home with some houseplants, but of course I want to ensure that my kitty will be safe and comfortable in our home. I have low-light conditions (unless the heat and UVB lamps for my various terrariums increase that at all?) and don't mind frequent watering (I have hermit crabs, so I water frequently anyways). I plan on putting in some shelving and would like easily-trimmed trailing plants. Flowers and colorful leaves most welcome.

I would like things easier to care for (no complex fertilization, no having to provide live insects (in case pitcher plants or something are safe), etc.) and hard to kill. On a scale of Zero to Jolly Green Giant, my thumb is a stubborn brown kelp- just enough green to not be /totally/ hopeless. Something I can water on a specific daily or weekly schedule (nothing that would be different days each week, because I would forget.)

So far, the only low-light indoor plants that are non-toxic that I've found are the Staghorn Fern and Calathea, both of which I like and plan on getting.

I would also like suggestions on non-obnoxious ways on keeping my cat Autumn from digging them up or pushing them over (no orange peels or other things that might make her uncomfortable). An idea I had regarding this: what about a mesh cover over the dirt of the pot, and something like heavy stones in the bottom to keep it weighted down?

A related question- if I have trailing plants on a shelf ordinarily inaccessible to kitty, is she going to get the not-so-bright idea to try /climbing/ those vines if they get too long?

TL;DR: Looking for non-toxic, low-light houseplants and ways to keep kitty out of them.

I already live in a zoo- time to get the botanical garden wiggle on!

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
The ASPCA has a list of all the plants that are toxic and non-toxic to cats. There are lots of great options for safe plants to have around cats. The list is here: Poisonous Plants

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Arirang

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah, but it doesn't also list light requirements and care sheets and all that. It doesn't tell me what I /can/ have, only what I can't, and doesn't tell me how to take care of it once I get it.

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
Yeah, but it doesn't also list light requirements and care sheets and all that. It doesn't tell me what I /can/ have, only what I can't, and doesn't tell me how to take care of it once I get it.
Of course it doesn't. The ASPCA's job is to show you what the plant looks like so a concerned dog, cat, or horse lover can easily identify it and list all of its names. It is not responsible for stating where the plants live or anything like that.

You can copy the scientific name of a species on the non-toxic plant list on Google to find relevant information on gardening websites.

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have a few suggestions but I'm not too clear on how low light we are talking here, indirect sunlight? or just sunlight part of the day. I had an African violet do well in mostly indirect sunlight (it died because I accidentally froze it), they only really need morning light, but those aren't viney, but are pretty, I think. Christmas cactus also are safe and are ok in low light. Both of those are pretty hardy the violet being a succulent and the other a cactus. Another pretty hard to kill plant that is safe is spider plants, they are viney if you let them, and can be fun to plant all the little spider plant babies around the room. If cared for properly spider plants even flower.

As for keeping the kitty from digging a couple other ideas that can work is putting down a layer of glass pebbles over the soil. Water can get around the pebbles and into the soil but the cat doesn't have direct access to the soil. The other way is to rather then having the plant on a shelf hang it from the ceiling, in the case of viney/or long leaf plants. You can also try planting some cat grass for the cat, give it something it can chew on can sometimes take the focus off your plants.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pothos isn't on the list, and it does well in low light conditions and is trailing. It's a large-leafed plant, though, so I keep mine in a hanging basket. I also have ivy, which is trailing but on the list. However, it's not where the cats can get to it. There are several kinds of trailing African violets, too, but they are speciality plants and you will probably need to buy them online.

I also have a very large peace lily, which is supposed to be poisonous, but it hasn't hurt my kitties even though they've chewed on it. I guess it must not taste good.

Pothos, ivy, and peace lilies are all low-light, but need to be kept moist.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Two safe ones: cat grass and catnip:) Both are easy to care for. The cat grass will need replanting every other week or so depending on the pot size and if the cats chew / eat a lot of the grass. Cat nip grows best in a deep wide pot and if you thin out out the plants so only the biggest healthiest ones grow and pick the leaves often to encourage growth. The leaves can be dried.

Maybe not quite what you are looking for but fake plants are nearly maintenance free and can be placed anywhere :)Just dust then off every so often. I have paper sunflowers in a vase which the cats ignore.

Arirang

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was gonna go artificial, but then I remembered my grandmother's artificial plants getting /so/ dusty and being /so/ hard to clean (each and every leaf and flower, times about a billion plants...)

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nothing like a Boston or maidenhair fern. They won't harm cats, but do offer them a tasty "salad." If your cats will leave them alone, they make good safe houseplants and are long-lived. Unfortunately for me, the half-life of a Boston or maidenhair fern around here is about two hours.

leechi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I believe air plants (tillandsia) are non toxic and don't like direct sunlight. You could hang them so they're out of reach of cats and care consists of soaking or spraying them with water every so often.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nothing like a Boston or maidenhair fern. They won't harm cats, but do offer them a tasty "salad." If your cats will leave them alone, they make good safe houseplants and are long-lived. Unfortunately for me, the half-life of a Boston or maidenhair fern around here is about two hours.
I thought about these also after I posted. I had a Boston fern that the cats never bothered, but got so big I had to give it to the garden club plant sale. I killed my first maidenhair after about 20 years, and am now growing another. It's on the coffee table, and neither cat has munched on it.

They are easy to grow if you don't let them dry out and you keep them in bright light, but not direct sunlight.

Arirang

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Regarding light, I keep my blinds closed and semi transparent shears over them. It is light enough to read, between that and my various terrariums, but only just. I keep one blind open about six inches so kitty can watch birdies.

Arirang

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have decided to try some Tillandsia in and around my terrariums, depending on the advice given by my herp forums. Thanks for the input, everyone!