suggestions for dealing with sickly cat over weekend

tashd

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone

My baby (dsh, was a shelter cat ) was taken to vets on Monday for annual's. Came home and was as sweet as pie until Wednesday night wwhen he sat listless in one spot.

Thursday morning I get up, no real change but no red lights flashing to me either but at lunchtime I take him back into vets. His cbc from Monday indicated high red blood cell count. The re-test showed that was now fine, but he had very low white blood cell count (got those results Fri am). So he came home with me Thurs nt, again no appetite, drinking or movement. But as far as I know, no vomiting or diarrhea either.

He has been in for over 24 hours now and his temp goes up and then down. He has been given antibiotic injection, anti inflammatory and iv and pain meds. Now vets closes until 4 pm tomorrow but they font recommend the emergency hospital as it's noisy and as Monkey was from a shelter environment he hates that.

Right now they have no idea other tthan think it's a virus. This cat, I kid you not is the sweetest, funniest, gentlest cat I've ever known. Even my cat 'hater' friends adore Monkey. He is not even 3 yet.

I am so close to him that it will kill me nor to be able to help him over the weekend.

Please any tips for cat care and also how to keep it together without collapsing in a heap? I have no kids and my cats mean more to me than life. I've had so much heartbreak trying to rescue cats over the years, all of the good ones gone too soon.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I know in people anyway a low white cell count is part of a virus.  The main thing is that he eats.  You can try some things to entice him to eat.  Warming wet food a bit.  You can try meat baby food, you want the one that is just meat and broth no onions or garlic.  I have heard that Beechnut is the best one to use.  

As a last resort you will need to syringe feed.  http://www.thecatsite.com/t/227858/syringe-feeding-lucky-video-if-your-cat-is-not-eating  includes a video that shows how to do it.  The main thing is to use the side of the mouth and go slow.

I hope Monkey feels better soon.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tashd

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your reply. He did eat a little in the cat hospital yesterday and today but yes agree I need to get in the hill ' s AD and syringes in case he refuses.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm sorry you and your boy are going through this.  Did they give him a Convenia injection??  When my girls had that, they were like zombies for about 7 days.  Barely got up to eat and their appetite was very diminished.

It's extremely important that you get him to eat.  If needed, you're going to have to syringe feed him.  You can pick up syringes at the pharmacy or at a feed store if you have one nearby.  You can use any cat food, but a stinky canned one works well.  Dilute it with plain baby pedialyte or with kitten replacement milk or even goat milk.  Syringe feed him every 4 hours.  If he doesn't eat, he's in danger of liver failure, and you don't want that to happen.

You can also try warming up canned cat food in the microwave or in a water bath for a few seconds to enhance the aroma and entice him to eat. 

It could also be the combination of pain meds, IV fluids, and the antibiotic causing the loss of appetite.  If needed, get him to the ER vet.

tashd

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He came in and ate a few nuggets, good news will try warming up the a/d

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Good, at least it wasn't Metacam.  Start with small servings, like a teaspoon, spread out over a couple of hours.

tashd

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
His paw that the iv went into is huge. I removed the tape, he is going back to vets at 4 pm. Is this usual or does it suggest infection or inflammation site to you? His bandage tape was not tight and I thought that was causing it.

cocheezie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Cal the vet, tell them what's going on, and see if you can get him in earlier than 4 pm.  That paw must be painful from whatever's happening in there.

Last edited:

tashd

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just called the out of hours they said that as long as there is no blood or visible wound we can massage it gently. But to absolutely keep an eye on it until vet visit and any changes to rush him in. Thank you.

cocheezie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Question: What does the out of hours think it is? If it turns out to be an infection, should you be massaging it?

quiet

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi.

So there is no tape on the leg now right? Usually the paw will swell up when the iv catheter has been taped to tight or taped and then a bit of irritation from the iv itself causes the leg to swell thus causing the tape to be to tight. Or the tape that is put on the leg is to tight and or not removed after the catheter is pulled. So he has no iv catheter in now and no tape right? You can massage the paw but most cats don't like that. Make sure the paw itself is not cold and make sure he has feeling in the foot.

quiet

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sometimes some of the fluids will go out of the catheter and flow into surrounding tissue. Gravity and such will cause the fluids to fall over a few hours to a day and that can also cause paw swelling. Sometimes the tape isn't to tight in one position but is to tight in another. So if cat is standing all is ok. But if cat lays down it is to tight

tashd

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am just waiting at vets now. Vet called me and apologized that he should have removed tape yesterday (husband collected cat) but was dealing with emergencies. I shall get his opinion shortly. Monkey allowed me to massage his paw (and I was extremely gentle in case it wasn't just fluid ) and he did walk on it. But then this cat could be on fire and he would still be sweet. I shall let you know. Thanks

tashd

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
His temp went over 104 again whilst in the vets, but seemed to come down over time suggesting stress-response to the environment. They have him a subq of 250ml and a tablet to help increase appetite. All seemed to be going well, however, a few moments ago he was making a hacking noise through mouth (very different sound to hairball) and it seemed to stress him out and he has gone into the closet. Would anyone have a clue what that is? It's stopped for now.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I really wish I could help you more.  The hacking sound could be coughing or something stress induced.  I'd keep an eye on him and let him settle down.  He's been through so much in the past few days.  Give him some time to recover and start improving.