Suggestions for Clumping Cat Litter that is pretty close to 100 % Dust Free

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

2cats4me

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I vote for Dr. Elsey's, too. It works great for the people and the cats in our house! Great for cats because our cat who'd been coughing a little (we wondered about asthma or allergy) stopped when we switched from Fresh Step to Respiratory Relief. Great for people because now our mudroom isn't coated with heavy, scented dust.
Great I am going to give Dr. Elsey's a try .  I have a $ 3.00 off coupon  plus a 10% off Petco coupon . I will get the litter on Sunday ..

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope Dr. Elsey's works for you, 2Cats4Me. It's definitely one for the coupons but it's been worth the money for us. Good luck!

2cats4me

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope Dr. Elsey's works for you, 2Cats4Me. It's definitely one for the coupons but it's been worth the money for us. Good luck!
Thank you , I hope so  too . Most  of the reviews are positive ..

BonitaBaby

Emotional Support Cat "Owner"
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you! I really want something dust-free since everything near the litter boxes is coated with litter dust. It's bad for my cat's health, not to mention my own health! I am going to buy 2 boxes of Dr Elsey's Respiratory Relief online from PetSmart since the internet price is good and they are having a buy $30, get a $5 coupon offer right now. I will pick it up at my local store after purchasing it since that is an option. My cat does sneeze sometimes...it sounds adorable but I don't want to be shortening her life expectancy or giving her a respiratory illness with cheap cat litter. I did upgrade to Arm & Hammer Clump and Seal but it stinks so badly. I'm mad about it. I can tell my cat doesn't like it. She's been using her third litter box with the old, dirty litter instead.

EDIT: Nevermind about that $30, get $5 coupon offer...it's on in store purchases only. I might pick up some food for my baby while picking up her cat litter.

Last edited:

2cats4me

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Thank you! I really want something dust-free since everything near the litter boxes is coated with litter dust. It's bad for my cat's health, not to mention my own health! I am going to buy 2 boxes of Dr Elsey's Respiratory Relief online from PetSmart since the internet price is good and they are having a buy $30, get a $5 coupon offer right now. I will pick it up at my local store after purchasing it since that is an option. My cat does sneeze sometimes...it sounds adorable but I don't want to be shortening her life expectancy or giving her a respiratory illness with cheap cat litter. I did upgrade to Arm & Hammer Clump and Seal but it stinks so badly. I'm mad about it. I can tell my cat doesn't like it. She's been using her third litter box with the old, dirty litter instead.

EDIT: Nevermind about that $30, get $5 coupon offer...it's on in store purchases only. I might pick up some food for my baby while picking up her cat litter.
Oh , the Dr. Elsey's littler is awesome . I have been using it for my cats for months now . There is almost no dust .. It is a little more expensive but well worth it .. I love it .. My cats do to I think . No more breathing in all that dust .

BonitaBaby

Alpha Cat
Purraise
So far it's working well as in no dust I can detect when I'm scooping and no stinky perfume scent like that awful Arm & Hammer Clump and Seal. Dr. Elsey's is pricey! O_O However, it is definitely worth it!! I was so excited Monday to go pick up baby's new litter! ^.^ I was expecting huge boxes, but 20 lbs turned out to be small boxes compared to the large 20 lbs containers of cheap, lighter litter I was getting at Target & then Costco. I was getting huge containers of cat litter for just $7 at Target and then a couple dollars more at Costco when I switched to find a less dusty one, but now I'm going to stick to this new Respiratory Relief formula! My baby deserves it and who knows how much cat litter dust is in my lungs. I inhaled so much while scooping for the past 9 months. The dust was so bad!! I kept trying to hold my breath and forgot to wear a mask.

IMO, cheap but dusty litter is not worth it as cat owners might have to deal with respiratory problems themselves in the long run, not to mention vet bills for respiratory illness in their cats.

I needed both 20 lb boxes to fill the XL hooded litter box that is uncovered with no hood. I will need 3 more boxes to fill the two XL litter box trays, but it's worth it and with all 3 XL trays out and my lil' baby gata, I can go months before washing litter boxes and refilling them with fresh litter. I'm also rotating washing so I'll do the 2 XL trays, then after a while, the XL unhooded hooded cat litter box. ^.^

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IMO, cheap but dusty litter is not worth it as cat owners might have to deal with respiratory problems themselves in the long run, not to mention vet bills for respiratory illness in their cats.
I'm with you on that! One of our cats had a suspiciously asthma-like cough several times but it stopped when we switched from Fresh Step (so perfumy and dusty) to Respiratory Relief. We've been using it for over a year now and I would never switch, it's great stuff. It's a respiratory relief for me not to have to deal with the mushroom cloud when I pour it into the boxes!

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I'm with you on that! One of our cats had a suspiciously asthma-like cough several times but it stopped when we switched from Fresh Step (so perfumy and dusty) to Respiratory Relief. We've been using it for over a year now and I would never switch, it's great stuff. It's a respiratory relief for me not to have to deal with the mushroom cloud when I pour it into the boxes!
Amazon has the Dr Elsey's respiratory relief for $18.99. It's available for the subscribe and save program. You can get it as low as $16.14 with S&S if you have 5 or more items in your order. You also get free shipping with S&S.

The regular Dr Esley's is $15.57 on Amazon.

I tried the Paws and Claws from Tractor Supply. It was the dustiest litter I've ever used. I am a Dr Elsey's and Fresh Step Extreme user.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Amazon has the Dr Elsey's respiratory relief for $18.99. It's available for the subscribe and save program. You can get it as low as $16.14 with S&S if you have 5 or more items in your order. You also get free shipping with S&S.

I tried the Paws and Claws from Tractor Supply. It was the dustiest litter I've ever used. I am a Dr Elsey's and Fresh Step Extreme user.
Thanks for the Amazon info, though my closest local store has started carrying Respiratory Relief, for $14.99. Plus I can use coupons there!

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Thanks for the Amazon info, though my closest local store has started carrying Respiratory Relief, for $14.99. Plus I can use coupons there!
That is a good deal. The closest pet stores to me are the twins Co and Smart and they charge a premium for Dr Elsey's. I have a local store that I order my Rad Cat from. Maybe I'll see what they get for it if they even carry it next time I go in. Their cat section is about 1/10 the size of the dog section. 

Last edited:

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, our Petco has the most expensive Dr. Elsey's by far! Definitely check with your local store... ours that carries Respiratory Relief is also more dog-oriented, with just a small cat section, but someone else has been buying Respiratory Relief, so I think they're glad to have it! (I also mentioned to our cat vet that the store sells it...)

2cats4me

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Yeah , that Paws & Claws stuff was horrid ..

BonitaBaby

Alpha Cat
Purraise
I agree!!
I don't even know if there is less dust with Clump and Seal really because that's the first litter my cat rarely uses and tried to avoid by using a box with old litter instead even though I'd mixed the Clump and Seal with fresh litter from the old box to transition her.

Personally, I find Clump and Seal stinks and I can't stand the heavy perfume scent. My cat too apparently. I suppose it's all relative as in what you used before makes a huge difference as to how well you'll cope with the heavy perfume scent. If that's the kind of litter you've been using smell-wise, the heavy perfume scent seems normal and you might not notice it. But if it's the first time you're trying that kind of heavily scented litter, it might be a huge shock and should be forewarned in reviews of Clump and Seal.

My baby's litter boxes are in an empty bedroom with the door always opened and this is the first time I can smell the stinky litter in the hallway that was freshly added to clean litter boxes. It stinks! Not what me (& my baby) like.

Also, I compared Dr Elsey's Respiratory Relief to the size of the Clump and Seal and I don't think the Clump and Seal is good health-wise. That litter is "fine" compared to the Respiratory Relief so I imagine it tracking everywhere after my cat walks around in it and then jumps out her box. Maybe my cat licking it off her paws because it's so "fine". No chance of that with the Respiratory Relief.

EDIT: Sorry, as you can see, I'm a bit bitter over the stinky Clump and Seal.

Last edited:

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I tried Clump & Seal once.  It was fine for a day and after that I had to get it out of the house, couldn't stand the chemical smell it had.  I do best with natural litters anyhow -- corn cob based, walnut based, things like that.  The cats and I dont like any added scents and clay litters stick to the bottom of the pan when wet.  I actually use horse bedding for litter, Best Cob Premium Horse Bedding from Tractor Supply.  Before that I used Fresh Results which is made of corn cobs and can be had at WalMart, but the Best Cob is the most economical, 8.99 for 40 pouds versus 5.99 for 10 pounds, but the Fresh Results makes firm clumps and the Best Cob makes fluffy clumps, easy to lift out unless another cat has walked on it, in which case it becomes powder ad goes to the bottom of the box.

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just had to toss the Clump n Seal; surprisingly, it did little to cover the smell of my cats poo. Just replaced with Fresh N Light unscented. Zero dust!! Hope it works to cover the smell. Will update later in the week.

BonitaBaby

Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yippee! I had to post on here that I just called Church & Dwight (owners of the Arm & Hammer Clump & Seal cat litter) at 800-524-1328 and was able to get a refund for the very perfume-y Clump & Seal litter that I can't stand . I still have half of the large box I purchased that I will throw away now. I didn't want to previously because of the cost of the box. The "7-day odor free home" guarantee means that you can call to get your money back if you are dissatisfied as I was. I really would rather smell the urine and poop than the heavy perfume scent! Now I know what they mean by "7-day odor free" guarantee -- you won't smell the urine and the poop (for one cat at least) because all you'll smell is the heavy perfume scent of the litter. I was expecting a scent, just not such a strong scent that wafted down the hallway for the first couple weeks. If you hated the Clump & Seal also, you can call for a refund too.

The rep explained that the "7-day odor free guarantee" is for not smelling urine or poop, but I explained that I wasn't expecting to smell the heavy perfume scent of the cat litter (and also how my cat avoided it), so I think I was given the refund anyway. When they asked for the bar code, I explained I was at work, so would have to call back later, but the rep said no problem and processed the order anyway. I hope the check does arrive in the mail. I'm waiting for the check from Dr Elseys for the first box of Respiratory Relief that I purchased. They have that free rebate offer form on their website so you can try R.R. for free. I just purchased another box of Respiratory Relief. I think I will stick to that one. No dust!

Last edited:

happylitter

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
At this point, I've almost made an educated decision that there is no non-tracking cat litter! I will now only use clumping litter for my 2 cats and there is sandy-dust all over the house. I don't know what to do anymore.