Suggestions for Better User Experience (and Accessibility !)

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When folks are on the site and alerts for watched threads or PMs came through, the previous software version provided for a small pop-up window in the lower left corner of any page that the member was viewing.......I'm not seeing those anymore.

Yes, there are two SMALL spaces where TINY red numbers appear..........but, these can easily go unnoticed (they do for me and, I suspect, for anyone with vision issues).

It's unfortunate that this feature/service has been deleted/omitted.

Two points about links that are posted into threads:
  • it used to be that these were automatically 'translated' to the name of the link as it was programed on that external site - now, links often appear as computer 'gibberish' (e.g. nowadays, I often get "httx//catinfo.org/" for some links, whereas formerly it showed as Feeding Your Cat: Know the Basics of Feline Nutrition – Common Sense. Healthy Cats.)
  • the software is programed to colour the link in a faded orange.......this is not helpful to folks with vision impairment - it just isn't user-friendly to everyone. Better choices would be dark green, blue, purple or brown (taken from the colour chart here).

Accessibility is the practice of making your websites usable by as many people as possible. We traditionally think of this as being about people with disabilities, but the practice of making sites accessible also benefits other groups such as those using mobile devices....
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Learn/Accessibility/What_is_accessibility

That's it! Thanks for your ear (or rather, eyes:lol:)

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
~ Sometimes a change in Web Host is a good idea. Upgrades/updates should improve a website.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
You could try enabling push notifications to see if that works for you.

From your username at the top of the screen select preferences -

push1.jpg

Then click on "Enable push notifications" and then save.

I'll pass along the rest of your suggestions to the Admins. :)
push2.jpg

I;

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Thanks for the feedback white shadow white shadow
We'll adjust the link color, this wasn't supposed to happen and I think just skipped everyone's notice. I'm visually-impaired myself but just hadn't noticed it so far.
As for translating links into hyperlinked words, there are several considerations there, but I'll see what we can do. I'll also ask our platform expert HellaSteph HellaSteph to jump in and see if she can suggest a different way to see alerts.

We use top-quality servers JamesCalifornia JamesCalifornia with the best server admin services :). Rest assured that the issues raised here have nothing to do with server quality.