Suggestions for acclimating new kitty

Mary Ann L

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have just adopted a Maine Coon 1 - 1-/4 year old Maine Coon mix kitty. She has had 3 homes but fortunately the last one was in a home shelter in TN. She was transported to the New York area Friday night at 3:15 a.m. yes!,, She is very sweet, exploring our bedroom, which now has her litter and food. So far she spends most of the time under the bed. But she likes being petted and enjoys a few toys.. We were told we should keep her in the bedroom for a week. Welcome all suggestions.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
A week is kind of arbitrary. It just depends on the cat. Once she is out and about in the bedroom for a significant time, start leaving the door cracked opened enough for her to venture out as she feels safe doing so. She may be one of those confident cats who adjusts very quickly to new places. They certainly do exist!

Congratulations on your new cat, and WELCOME TO TCS! Please post some pictures of her when you can, and what on earth is her name? I don't want to call her "Whatsherface!"

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Every cat is different. Some adjust in a day, others may take months. If she explores the room while you are present and appears confident and relaxed then I would allow her put to explore the rest of your home.

Remi&RiRi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi and welcome! It sounds like you don't have any other cats so at least you don't have to worry about cat introductions! I agree with the posts above. You will get a feel for her comfort level and how curious/shy she is. When I adopted my 3 year old cat she hid under the bed a lot (especially when we would enter the room) but as we would sit with her she would slowly come out. She comfortably started exploring our guest bedroom around 3 days and then when we felt she was okay with exploring more we cracked the door open (this was around 5 days). We could tell she was feeling more comfortable because she would sniff at the door and was close to the door whenever we would go in to visit her. The timeline will be different for each cat, just observe her behavior and if she takes longer then just take your time with the steps. From what it sounds like she may not even need the full week to adjust! Best of luck! :)