Suggestions for a budget friendly cat food I can buy in 12lb bags for a multicast household?

Aszira

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The food I've been feeding my eight furry felines for years has begun to make them sick. Since two of my cats are on a special diet anyway I figure I might as well upgrade the rest of the herd. I free feed since each cat likes to eat at different times. We also have quiet a bit of land so you can't get them together anyway. (They also hate each other so it's best not to but that's besides the point)

I'm hunting for a budget friendly cat food that's going to be better for their health than cheap Walmart stuff. Hopefully something for hairballs, but not required. All I can find online is bags for $40+. There's NO way I can afford that currently. Every penny I have is going into vet bills for my elderly cat.

Is there such a thing as dry cat food that's both healthy for them and budget friendly? Currently they go through 12lbs every month or so. I'm cutting it down though.

If it matters the cats ages range from 4-13 with most being middle age. (One cat is four, one is five or six, one is seven we think. Three are seven or eight. Another is 13. I'm fostering another who doesn't count) No medical issues except in my oldest two who are on a special diet. They're indoor/outdoor cats. All are a normal weight except my overeater/low self esteem cat.

Am I dreaming about finding this magical food? I know wet food is better, and free feeding isn't fantastic. It's just not possible to have a set dinner time or canned food. I don't trust myself to stick to a routine.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
Maybe some of the foods mentioned in this thread might help?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some midgrade foods are: Purina ONE, 4Health (Tractor Supply store brand), Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover's Soul (good price on Amazon right now!), Kirkland (Costco brand), umm. . .there's a brand at Walmart that's decent, let me look that up----ETA: Evolve, I think. It used to be in a shiny silver bag but it looks like they might have changed that.

Also, you should try to get some canned food into them. The higher moisture content is better for them, as cats rarely drink enough water. It doesn't have to be on a schedule; I free-feed canned food.