Suggestions about deterring furniture scratching

vervainandrue

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi,

Feel free to roll your eyes several times while reading this post...my husband and I are getting several pieces of antique furniture recovered, a few of which we are recovering because they have been scratched to pieces. I am determined that the $$ we invest won't be wasted and I can somehow keep the cats from ruining the recovered furniture. As is suggested, I have multiple cardboard and sisal rope scratchers (3 scratchers and a cat tree live on our small first floor). The cats use them, but they also use the furniture. I put the scratchers close to the most attacked pieces, but they still go for the furniture, even when I put catnip on the scratcher. I've had some luck with deterrent spray but I needed to use the spray a few times a week and I fell behind. So my questions are:

Have you used a product like Kittyguard? Does it work and how does it look?

My experience with double sided tape is that it gets dirty and peels off, the furniture looks awful, and it doesn't deter determined cats. Have you had better luck than me?

I've heard some people use Feliway on the furniture they don't want scratched. Have you tried this, and does it work?

Have you tried deterrent sprays, and if so, which ones worked?

I know, I'm insane to try and have nice things with 4 cats in the house. But I'm a dreamer.

Any tips and tricks you could give me would offer hope that my pretty recovered furniture won't be ruined. Thanks so much in advance.

duchess22

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I taught my kittens to scratch at the front door mat. When they did they got a treat there. I can say :scratch for treats? "and they go over and scratch. It's the grey rubber backed ones you can get at home depot etc. I have leather couches and some antiques and nothing is touched. I own no scratching posts. I use my hand to scratch under the mat like a mouse or play with a string. If I see any scratch at all I praise and give treats. With rewards you may be able to retrain there? Mats are about 15.00. I have also seen a thicker plastic that can be peeled and stuck on arms and edges of furniture and you can peel it off again easily. Saw it on line and in pet stores.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I just looked up that product on Amazon and it looks good. Under 'furniture protectors for cats'. They are big sheets of self-adhesive vinyl, looks amazing. You might have to practically surround your furniture at first, but it should work. Once the cat gets it out of their minds and habit, they eventually could be removed. My cats MUCH prefer the corrugated cardboard scratchers. Maybe because I yell at them when they start on the furniture.

suzeanna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat used to scratch the armrest areas of the sofa. I put her scratching post in front of the side she liked the most and gave her a kibble every time she used it. She still scratched at the armrests when she wanted an early dinnertime, so I bought a pack of "pet couch protector" plastic and installed them on the armrests.

It is very easy and effective (and kind of hilarious when she reached up to scratch and slid down immediately with a shocked look on her face). I removed the plastic and she didn't scratch for a couple months, but then she realized it was gone and went back to it (so I guess the plastic will remain forever). The plastic protectors don't look cute, but they're not horrifically ugly and my very scratchable sofa is safe.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
On the Kittyguard website they have the pic of a shocked white cat sliding down the side of a sofa arm. I would definitely give that a try. It did not look bad at all, shockingly.