Suggested Lymphoma 11 yr old male

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ooof! That's a lot. I wonder what happened to his poor pancreas. I forget. How is he doing these days? Is he eating well again? Any butt and gut symptoms? Has the weight loss stopped?

Of those medicines, the prednisilone is probably the most important to ensure 100% compliance. I would definitely recommend getting that one compounded either to a flavored liquid or a transdermal gel. I found the transdermal to be extremely easy with Krista. Though the dosing pen clicked and she knew what that click meant, I still preceded her dinner with her dose. No dose, no dinner. She grew to tolerate the dose to get to the dinner. B-12 is easy to learn how to do it yourself. Ask the vet to sell you the bottle and the supplies (needles, syringes, and sharps disposal.) Doing it yourself will save you and Roo many trips and much $$$. You can search YouTube to see how it's done. It's best to distract him with food while you give the shot. Do it right and he'll never notice. Do it wrong and you'll learn for the next time. 🤦‍♂️ 😹 I don't have experience with tylosin or pancreazyme. I think these are both flavorless powders that should mix into wet food or baby food easy enough.

You can look into compounding here:
Veterinary Pharmacy

Have the vet call in the prescription once you've decided the form you want.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kmbishop111

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He has had a very rough 24 hours. We left the Vet, he has been vomitting and diarrhea since. Now he is not eating. We need the meds yesterday and now my Vet is off work til Monday. Im calling the Practice Owner in the AM to see what can be done.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I found this on tylosin. It's apparently a very bitter powder. If you can pill him, that's the best way to go with this one. Unless Wedgewood can compound it...

And this on pancreazyme.

This will make meal times interesting because you have to mix it into the food and then let it "incubate" at room temperature for 15-30 minutes before serving while you have a (hopefully) hungry Roo wondering why he can't eat it yet.

The practice owner should be able to get you the pred (pills or maybe liquid) and some mirtaz/mirtazapine and cerenia if you don't already have those two. Pred can jumpstart his appetite so you may only need to use the mirtaz(apine) for a dose or two. The tylosin and pancreazyme he may have to send you off with the prescriptions to call into a Walmart, if they have it, or Chewy, PetMeds, or another online pharmacy. You can start with whatever form of pred they have and switch to something more agreeable when you've decided on the formulation and they've called in the prescription to Wedgewood. I recommend the twist-a-dose transdermal gel pen.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Definitely talk to the owner and get whatever meds you can to make him feel better. I agree that pred, mirtaz, and cerenia should be no problem to give you today.

kmbishop111

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We're in our first bad flare since this began. This is day 5. Things are looking better and hes starting to eat a bit. I talked to his Vet briefly ab going back on Prednisolone. He tapered off of it 2 weeks ago. Dosage was .6 mL for 2 weeks, .3 mL for 2 weeks and .15 for 2 weeks. He seemed to be doing a lot better on it. She agreed if it helped, to start back.

Well, she is flaky to put it nicely. I have not been able to reach her in 2 days now to get the dosage. She knows I'm a retired Vet Tech and believe she just assumes I know dosages on everything even tho its been 10 years since I worked at a clinic.

I believe he needs to be on the Pred for probably longterm but Im not certain what to begin him back on. (I have a 3/4ths full bottle of oral)

I know this would help w his appetite, inflamation, etc. Now it will be Monday most likely before I talk to her.

Is there a guideline to go by on longterm Prednisolone treatment?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You definitely need to get hold of someone who knows for sure. When my cat, who had mouth cancer was on it long-term, we gave him 1/2 the original amount once a day instead of two. I'm sure it is the lowest dose possible to maintain comfort. He was on it for over two years with no side effects. It made him MUCH more comfortable.

kmbishop111

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Today he took a turn for the worse. Diarrhea, anemic, lethargic, just not doing well at all. I gave him a bit of Slippery Elm earlier but the other meds aren't helping much and he continues to lose weight. Im afraid Im going to have to make the decision none of us ever want to make. I think theres more going on with him than I wamted to accept. Praying for a miracle and the strength to do right by him.

kmbishop111

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just was looking through a couple of my older threads and realized I never updated concerning my Roo. He continued to go downhill and I had to help him transition over on June 16th. It was the hardest thing I've had to do, but it was definitely time. I miss him every single day. He was my "soul cat" Looking back, I think if he would have stayed on the Prednilosone it might have made a difference. It was just too little too late. He was right under 5 lbs when he crossed. RIP my Roo

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It takes a long time to heal a broken heart, Roo will forever be a part of your soul. All those should haves, could haves are a part of grieving, concentrate on those eleven years he shared with you instead. He will always be near, love is spiritual, so eternal. My Heart breaks for your pain, I know how much this hurts......