Sugar not eating out of bowls but will eat off paper towel

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
Just read the vet's email response and she said "okay, call first thing in the morning so we can get you in to get it evaluated" and had a smiley face afterwards, and this is after I told her she still eats and drinks and uses the litter box and climbs up to her chairs so that must've made her think not so badly about it, we'll see!

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
This morning Deb said Sugar was very confused as to walking into things and getting stuck places, then got so frustrated that she peed on the floor. I made an appointment for 5:30 tonight to get her eye checked out, I am hoping that this third eye issue is the cause of these latest problems, Deb isn't so sure, but I am holding out that if we get this eye helped it might make her better; I know if I had an eye issue I would have problems finding my way around but who knows.

I don't want to see her quality of life decline, but if it is a simple thing like getting some drops for her eye I don't want to pull the plug on her. Deb and I are both so upset over this, she is a very special cat, we almost lost her 4 years ago, but we know the time will come that she will have to move on, but I don't know if we have reached that stage yet. :(

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
This morning Deb said Sugar was very confused as to walking into things and getting stuck places, then got so frustrated that she peed on the floor. I made an appointment for 5:30 tonight to get her eye checked out, I am hoping that this third eye issue is the cause of these latest problems, Deb isn't so sure, but I am holding out that if we get this eye helped it might make her better; I know if I had an eye issue I would have problems finding my way around but who knows.

I don't want to see her quality of life decline, but if it is a simple thing like getting some drops for her eye I don't want to pull the plug on her. Deb and I are both so upset over this, she is a very special cat, we almost lost her 4 years ago, but we know the time will come that she will have to move on, but I don't know if we have reached that stage yet. :(
Sometimes mouth stuff can cause chronic eye and upper respiratory infections. We never could get Lily's heart rate down enough to get her dental surgery, and she got these issues from her immune being shot on everything.

I'm so glad your cat has you! And you have a supportive vet!

If you end up going with palliative care, talk to your vet about having a standing appointment, or having some extra pain management on hand if you have to wait a few days to put her to rest.

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
Sometimes mouth stuff can cause chronic eye and upper respiratory infections. We never could get Lily's heart rate down enough to get her dental surgery, and she got these issues from her immune being shot on everything.

I'm so glad your cat has you! And you have a supportive vet!

If you end up going with palliative care, talk to your vet about having a standing appointment, or having some extra pain management on hand if you have to wait a few days to put her to rest.
Well I hope this isn't it for her but we'll see, she doesn't match most of the things listed as to when the time to put them down is yet but we'll see.

We have been giving her "5 defenders" mushroom extract for cats for her immune system for about 10 days, and thank you for reminding me about respiratory issues so I remember to tell the vet that she did have two days in a row where she had sneezing fits, but that seemed to stop now and this third eye thing started. She had two Convenia shots in a row last month for the dental issue and there's no way I'm going to let them do that again as it really knocked her down, the mushrooms are natural and will try to fix whatever issues she is having without side effects like antibiotics have.

As strong and hopefully helpful that I am to others consoling them on here I am that upset and weak now about this, she is such a good girl and like I said we were lucky to have had her these past 4 years after she almost died from that HORRIBLE reaction to anesthesia, but it still very much breaks your heart. But I don't think she has reached the end of the line, just needs some help with the eye issue and to "remap" her way around the house and hopefully she will be okay, time will tell.....

Last edited:

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
Well she did pretty good at the vet, she had a lot of spunk left in her and the vet did a really wonderful job of checking her out and did a wonderful job with her and found out that she has a scratch on her eye, thinks she either scratched it or walked into something 😥 She gave us an antibiotic drop to put in twice a day (oh boy, here we go!), she fought the two of them like crazy to have that put in so she is still very fiesty but this should help heal that, she doesn't think it will do much for the third eyelid issue but suggested maybe we should take her to the cat opthamolgist that Sylvester goes to and I think that's a good idea as she said she might have some more insight into what is going on. She said she doesn't know if that mass or whatever it is on the side of her face is is pushing on a nerve, but she agrees not to put her through too much at her age and at this point and after what she has been through, but she said if she is still eating and drinking and getting around somewhat she will find her way, and suggested maybe a lower litter box with a wide opening which Deb & I already were thinking of. But she certainly didn't want to go, she let me hear it the whole way there which I take as a good sign, and was quite active and interested over there which is a relief somewhat to us, our nerves are shot with this but I am so glad that I thought to take her and could get some drops to put in.

We can't take much more......:headshake: :sniffle:

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
She is hanging in there, fights us like crazy when we go to put her eye drop in so the old Sugar is still in there. I contacted the company that makes the 5 Defenders mushroom supplement that we are giving her and told them her story and they said we could try to give her up to a whole capsule instead of the 1/4 like we have been, Deb was going by the weight chart they gave but they said they have heard from many pet owners that this supplement is beneficial for cats with issues like this so we are going to try to slowly increade the amount she will get and hope for the best!