Sugar Cakes (aka Sugar Cookies)

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I got this recipe from a PA Dutch forum on FB. It's absolutely the closest thing I have found to my grandmother's recipe for sugar cookies. And they're drop cookies, so need to roll and cut. They're really good! I probably would have gotten about 30 from the recipe, but as fast as I was taking cookies out of the oven, Dear Richard was eating, so I'm not sure of the amount.

SugarCakes.jpg

Sugar Cakes (original recipe)

1 cup shortening
2 cups sugar
3 eggs
1 cup buttermilk (or milk with lemon juice)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon vanilla
3 cups flour

Bake at 375 for 15 minutes.

My notes: Cream the shortening with the sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each egg. Mix in the baking soda, followed by the vanilla. Mix in 1/3 of the flour, followed by 1/3 of the milk. Repeat and repeat again, until you've used all of the flour and milk. Spoon onto greased cookie sheets (I use parchment and I always use a scoop for drop cookies.). Bake 10-11 minutes. (As you can see by the darker brown cookie in the above picture, 15 minutes in my oven was way too long. Check after 10 or 11 minutes!)
You may get 30 cookies or so, depending on whether Rick is eating your cookies as fast as you get them out of the oven!

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got this recipe from a PA Dutch forum on FB. It's absolutely the closest thing I have found to my grandmother's recipe for sugar cookies. And they're drop cookies, so need to roll and cut. They're really good! I probably would have gotten about 30 from the recipe, but as fast as I was taking cookies out of the oven, Dear Richard was eating, so I'm not sure of the amount.

View attachment 376105

Sugar Cakes (original recipe)

1 cup shortening
2 cups sugar
3 eggs
1 cup buttermilk (or milk with lemon juice)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon vanilla
3 cups flour

Bake at 375 for 15 minutes.

My notes: Cream the shortening with the sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each egg. Mix in the baking soda, followed by the vanilla. Mix in 1/3 of the flour, followed by 1/3 of the milk. Repeat and repeat again, until you've used all of the flour and milk. Spoon onto greased cookie sheets (I use parchment and I always use a scoop for drop cookies.). Bake 10-11 minutes. (As you can see by the darker brown cookie in the above picture, 15 minutes in my oven was way too long. Check after 10 or 11 minutes!)
You may get 30 cookies or so, depending on whether Rick is eating your cookies as fast as you get them out of the oven!
:lol:you cant blame him haha how could he not

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Pam, you should have Betty Crocker after your name. 👩‍🍳🍪 I wish I could cook and bake as well as you. But I do enjoy reading all your recipes and seeing the pics. At least I can't gain any weight virtually.😉

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Pam, are the cookies sprinkled with coarse sugar before baking?
The recipe didn't specify. All it said was "375 15 m".
But yes, I did and thank you for reminding me. On the first sheet of cookies, I used regular granulated white sugar. For the rest of the sheets, I sprinkled the tops with King Arthur sparkling white sugar.
They are really good cookies.

I'll add the recipe to the Cookies thread.