Suffolk County, NJ Info Needed

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi Mark. I'm actually posting this for Laurie (LDG), since she was running late for an appointment and didn't have time to sign on this morning but desperately needs help finding out the laws for a possible situation she may be dealing with.

She needs the ordinances for the Township of Fredon, Suffolk County, New Jersey regarding how many animals you're allowed to own, whether or not registration is required, whether or not they have to be kept indoors, or if cats, dogs and horses can be considered farm animals, and any other pertinant information that may help determine what laws, if any, could be violated in a possible hoarding situation. The person in question (not Laurie - someone she's been referred to....) owns 22 acres of farm land with a run down barn on the property, she does not reside on the property but that is where the animals are kept. I have no idea about numbers or types of animals involved, perhaps Laurie can clarify if necessary.

Thanks Mark! If possible, she would like to have the information this week (prior to Saturday when they will do a site visit of the property).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Let me know if you need additional information, Mark. I'll see what I can do to track it down.

Victor noted that the county name may be Sussex instead of Suffolk. I'm sure if that's the case you've already found at least that much information.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There is a Suffolk County NJ and a Sussex County as well-

Good luck Mark researching this!

mark kumpf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by valanhb

She needs the ordinances for the Township of Fredon, Suffolk County, New Jersey regarding how many animals you're allowed to own,

] There is no limit on ownership of dogs & cats in Fredon

whether or not registration is required,

dogs must be registered. Cats and horses are exempt.

whether or not they have to be kept indoors,

animals may be housed outdoors if they have proper shelter

or if cats, dogs and horses can be considered farm animals,

dogs & cats ARE NOT classed as livestock, horses ARE

and any other pertinant information that may help determine what laws, if any, could be violated in a possible hoarding situation. The person in question (not Laurie - someone she's been referred to....) owns 22 acres of farm land with a run down barn on the property, she does not reside on the property but that is where the animals are kept. I have no idea about numbers or types of animals involved, perhaps Laurie can clarify if necessary.

Basically, the care of the animals determines what violations if any are occuring. Is there proper food, water, and shelter. Are the animals free roaming or caged. Are they receiving medical care. Are there dead animals on the property. Send me pictures. Send me a description of what you see. I will be happy to consult from afar.

Information confirmed by contacting SPARTA Health District and checking NJ statutes.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you ALL so much! I honestly don't know if it's Suffolk or Sussex! But the Sparta Health district department is definitely the right area, county notwithstanding.

We'll bring the camera - our biggest concern is that according to vets that know her, she's always cash strapped and can't afford treatment the cats need, though she will bring them in for various vaccinations. Sporadic spay/neuter - although we have no idea how many vets she circulates her business through. There are a lot of vets around here.

My understanding is that there is a run down barn and the animals are free-roaming. The quote we got from one of the vets was "Her heart's in the right place but....." and just kind of trailed off.

We're worried. We'll bring the camera, take pics if we can, and unless its bad and/or urgent, I will contact you.

Thank you again.

mark kumpf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Take a digital camera if possible. If you have access to a small video camera take that and take video. Turn off the sound or don't talk while filming. Get closeups of animals, feeding areas, litter areas, cages, and the horses + barn. When are you going?

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Saturday, but I don't know what time yet. Probably mid-afternoon. We don't have access to a video camera, but we can do digital pics.

Again, thanks for all.

linda_of_pgff

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi All,

This thread reminded me of something that's bothered me a while. How does someone go about finding, or getting something brought to the attention of, a Humane Investigator (Cruelty Investigator may be the term I mean)?

Many years ago, I know that the SPCA near me trained some people to do this, but since then, there is one person I know who I THINK is certified to do this. Unfortunately, IMO, that person is of the "old school" and doesn't seem to be very sympathetic toward cats. (In other words, if I were to call this investigator in on ANY situation where cats roamed free, it would feel as though I were condemning the cats to death -- even if I just wanted a reading on ONE cat's situation of the group, for example).

One of the volunteers that I work with looked into some training kind of sounding like Cruelty Investigator a few months ago, when he was between jobs. I am not sure what he learned, but I know that he didn't feel comfortable with some aspects of the material, so he did not pursue the certification.

If there ARE people in my area who have been trained, how do they get handed their cases? Animal Control, or . . . .? If anyone knows, I would appreciate more information!

Thanks!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Linda - would you mind if I copy your question and create a new thread with it? Anybody mind if I then delete this thread? Gary feels very uncomfortable having this in a public forum because this lady is widely known around here apparently...

We didn't get to see the property yesterday. It was raining all day. We've rescheduled for Monday.