Suede

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am not really asking for advice, just good thoughts. Suede is my daughters 16ish year old rescue - vet estimates his age. She got him when she was living with a bunch of other young people in a converted firehouse - he came with the place, sort of a communal cat. When he started having health issues, no one wanted to take responsibility for him other than my daughter, so when she moved, she took him with her. He has been previously diagnosed with the beginnings of chronic renal failure and high blood pressure. He is on medications for these problems. She noticed him losing weight and showing little interest in eating so back to the vet they went. After a multitude of tests and a hefty vet bill she was told he could have IBD or lymphoma. She was given the option of a biopsy to narrow the diagnosis down, but given his previous health issues decided not to. He was put on steroids. 2 weeks have passed and he still isn't eating other than a nibble here and there even though he was given an appetite stimulant. She is syringe feeding him right now. She called me last night, crying because she knows the time to make the decision that we all live in fear of is near. My daughter is beside herself with worry, guilt and fear - second guessing every decision. Suede is still coming to greet her when she comes home from work and cuddling with her at night - sleeps with his head on her shoulder, every night so I don't think it is quite time yet. I am worried about Suede of course, but more worried about her.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know you're not looking for advice, but I can't help it...;)

First tell your daughter that she is a wonderful person for taking care of this kitty!!!
Now, onto the unsolicited advice....
Did the vet re-check blood work to see if the CKD has advanced? What medications does Suede take for the CKD. Has the vet talked about Sub-Q fluids?
They were key in keeping my CKD kitty eating well when he had it. CKD kitties are prone to feeling sick when the toxins don't filter out. And if they feel sick/nauseated, they will not eat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am not sure what meds he is on, she has told me but I don't remember the list. I know there are several including something for his appetite and nausea. She (the vet) has talked about sub q fluids but hasn't started them yet because the last time they checked his levels weren't bad. The kidney values are checked often. I have been talking to her since I have been through CKD and PKD with cats before. The vet does not think his not eating is related to the CKD.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My daughter is saying goodby to Suede tomorrow. Today the vet told her that anything more would not help. She is having a vet come to the house. I am driving into Boston so she doesn’t have to go through this by herself.
I'm so sorry. Our hearts will be with you tomorrow. I agree with everyone else. Your daughter is an angel for helping little Suede. The best day of his life was the day she entered it. He will be loved forever and never forgotten. :rbheart:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If your daughter is on FB, tell her to join the Raw Feeding for IBD kitties group. Even if she doesn't feed raw, lots of really good info.
I am afraid it is a moot point now. He will NOT eat anything and hasn't for a week. She has been force feeding him with a syringe. I tend to think it is lymphoma rather than IBD because nothing they have tried has worked. She has called an in home vet to euthanize him today. Her vet agrees that it is time, he is suffering.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Add me to the list of members thinking of your daughter and you. :hugs: I love the name Suede and, as you already know, he has lived a truly wonderful life full of compassion and care thanks to your daughter. We will be thinking of you both tomorrow and sending special thoughts to Suede as he makes his journey to the Bridge. :angel: