Suddenly Scared Of Butterfly Toy

Burts

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So my cat Oliver would go crazy with this butterfly toy, he doesnt like all toys but he loved this toy for many days. He would dive bomb it and knock it over and do it again!

Last time he played with it he knocked it over ran behind the couch and Hissed!

Now everytime he sees it start up no matter how far he is away from the toy his eyes gets huge and he runs away fast.. Three times already have I tried, once i started it on my refrigerator and he freaked...

He did have constipation issues recently and im wondering if he had pain when he was playing with it?

Oliver is such a demanding turd

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's one possibility. Another is that he simply has a very active imagination and has frightened himself. Cats do sometimes like to play scary games; they'll chase each other, for instance, and seem to enjoy being chased as much as they enjoy doing the chasing.

By the way, I assume the link you posted was to Amazon, because it doesn't show up properly in my browser. In some browsers, Amazon links don't show up properly on TCS unless you strip the "https://www." from the beginning before using the Link tool to post them. (I know, weird, and I've no idea why it works that way.)

Margret

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. No reason to freak him out with that toy for now anyway. Put it away and try some other toys, or buy another one that is similar. Whatever the reason is, it may likely go away after a while. You can always try the toy later but I would wait a few weeks to a month or so.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've read before about cats suddenly not liking/being afraid of a toy. It might be some variation of re-directed aggression. Probably best to put it away for a while and maybe try again after several days.

By the way, I assume the link you posted was to Amazon, because it doesn't show up properly in my browser.
Do you use Firefox, Margret Margret ? That's the only browser I've found the problem with.

Here's the link to the toy, btw.

amazon.com/Bascolor-Electric-Butterfly-Butterflies-Interactive/dp/B073TVT15P/ref=as_sl_pc_tf_til?tag=thecatsite&linkCode=w00&linkId=&creativeASIN=B073TVT15P

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you use Firefox, Margret Margret ? That's the only browser I've found the problem with.
Nope, had too much trouble with Firefox. I use Torch, which is a variant of Chrome (if I remember correctly). I eventually found the toy by examining the frame data (whatever that means - I got it by right-clicking on the "bad" link).

Margret

1claire

Tabby Lover
Young Cat
Purraise
Cats have an active imagination maybe that's the reason why he suddenly got scared of his toys.