Suddenly Refusing All Food

MajorTomCat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My two kitties get four meals a day, Dr. Elseys dry at 6 am, wet at 8am then wet again at 5pm, and dry at 11pm. I noticed my one kitty still had all of his evening and morning dry when I went to feed him this morning, but sometimes he doesn’t eat all of it so I didn’t think much about it. I gave him his wet and he took two bites and walked off. Since then I’ve tried every flavor and texture of wet we have e in the house and he’s licked a couple, took a couple bites of some, some he smelled and turned his nose up at, but he hasn’t actually eaten much of anything. He did chow down on a treat stick, but that’s all he’s actually eaten. He’s a ting normal, purring and playing with his toys and with his brother. He ate dinner fine last night so it’s been less than 24 hours since he had a meal. Is this something I should worry about or is this just a kitty being a kitty? His brother has tried all the foods I’ve given today and would have glad,y eaten them all so I don’t think the food was bad or smelled funny.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I really don't have anything helpful to tell you. I just wanted to acknowledge your post as I know it can be frustrating to wait to hear from anyone about your issue.

Until other members respond, perhaps you could try some of the dry food and add some water, just to see if he would eat one or more of them that way. You could also break up a treat stick into crumbles, if that is possible, and try mixing it with some of the wet or even dry food. If none of that works, continue to feed him treat sticks if he continues to refuse anything else for very long.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Less than 24 hours? Could be anything. I wouldn't worry yet (though I know it's hard not to) but I'd get the carrier ready for a vet visit if this extends into tomorrow. Maybe pick up one of the "supplemental feeding only" treat pots of chicken in water or tuna in water. Pure Bites makes these. There's another brand I'm drawing a blank on. Just make sure it's meat in water and nothing else. It's not balanced nutrition but it's better than nothing until he's back on his food again.

dan32

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My old test is Gerber's meat baby food (chicken, turkey, beef, ham). I always keep it in stock. If they won't eat it off your finger, time for the vet.

Happy is the day when everyone eagerly gobbles down their food. How frustrating it can be when they won't eat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MajorTomCat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He ate about a quarter of his dinner and then half his dry food, so he’s at about 100 calories for tha day vs his normal 250 but I guess some is better than none.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He ate about a quarter of his dinner and then half his dry food, so he’s at about 100 calories for tha day vs his normal 250 but I guess some is better than none.
That’s a good sign! Sometimes they just have an upset tummy and need to take a meal or two of rest.