Suddenly got a 3rd kitten

TingaTinga

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We have 2 kittens (13 week male and 9.5 week female). My mum has a 16 week male and has had to move suddenly and the new temporary place wont allow animals so ive said i'll keep him until she can have him back. Apart from getting them all neutered can anyone forsee any major problems with this set up? Our 2 share litter trays and food bowls despite having their own. My mums obviously had his own litter tray and bowls etc but my 2 have used his litter tray already while we were unloading all the stuff. We let them smell each ither in their cat carriers for an hour or so and then let them out. My boy hissed briefly but nothing major.
My 2 are now acting like theres no change but mums is hiding under the bed upstairs. My 2 went into that room and were playing with each other like usual and im pretty sure all 3 knew they were all in there. Do we just leave them to it as long as theres no major fighting? If we have to go out i'll keep mums shut in my room with his tray and food. Anything else we should/shouldnt be doing?

Mr. Meow

Special needs cat expert.
Super Cat
Purraise
Other than I feel the introductions were way too fast/short, which is part of the reason your mom's cat is hiding, you can probably expect some diarrhea due to stress and the kittens eating each other's food. While your two may be comfortable because they are still in "their house", your mom's cat is going through some pretty big changes (and cats don't like change). Take it slower with him, or you may be elongating his stress and the amount of time it takes him to come out of his shell. Luckily they're all kittens, so it shouldn't be as problematic as having 3 adult cats.

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They are all young cats so I am certain they'll settle down together quickly. Obviously the newcomer feels a bit lost at the moment but he'll soon come out of his shell. This doesn't mean that they'll automatically be friends for life. One male may become dominant, the males may become good friends and ignore or bully the female. But, if you've got plenty of space so that they can get away from one another when necessary, there's no reason why things shouldn't work out. So think positive! I have only been careful when introducing kittens to older cats - but three fairly young kittens will soon learn to play together.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TingaTinga

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hes exploring all upstairs now and coming down the stairs but is timid. Hes quite a timid boy anyway. The girl is quite taken by him and miows to get into the room hes in and tries to sneak in everytime one of us goes in or out. Our boy is a little more indifferent to him. Kinda leaves my mums kitten to do his own thing and doesnt want him near him. Theres been a lot of hissing between the 2 boys and mums boy hisses a bit at our girl but the girl doesnt react to either boy.

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hes exploring all upstairs now and coming down the stairs but is timid. Hes quite a timid boy anyway. The girl is quite taken by him and miows to get into the room hes in and tries to sneak in everytime one of us goes in or out. Our boy is a little more indifferent to him. Kinda leaves my mums kitten to do his own thing and doesnt want him near him. Theres been a lot of hissing between the 2 boys and mums boy hisses a bit at our girl but the girl doesnt react to either boy.
Hissing is only saying "keep away". My 4 cats still sometimes hiss at each other. The latest arrival has been with me for more than 2 years. If your three seem to get more aggressive at night I would separate them so that at least you can get some sleep. After a few nights on his own, you will no doubt find that he will start screaming to get back to the others. :livid:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TingaTinga

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We're keeping him in my daughters room upstairs for now so he feels he can escape my 2. We'll keep him in there overnight and if we go out. Im pretty sure they will get along just fine in time even if the boys arent the best of friends they'll relax around each other at least