Suddenly elevated BUN/Creatine levels?

sunny578

Mom to an inappropriate urinator
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hello!

I'm posting on behalf of my mom. Her cat just had 4 teeth extracted today, which was one thing, but I guess before the surgery they did some blood work and her BUN & Creatine levels were "way up." Melanie, the cat, had blood work just a few months ago, and her kidney values were normal. My mom is waiting to get the actual values from the vet, but is wondering what could possibly be going on. Melanie is 13.5, and hasn't ingested anything strange. Outside of being treated for hyperthyroidism and some normal cat vomiting/food pickiness she has been presenting as her regular self at home up until her extractions. Now, a few hours post surgery she is having trouble walking, but the vet said that is to be expected.

Thank you for any thoughts you may have!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It'll take a day or so for the anesthesia to wear off. In the meantime, the cat may be wobbly walking around. Discourage any jumping, running, going up / down stairs if possible.

Tanya's C RF page says this: If BUN and creatinine rise suddenly, your cat may have developed acute kidney injury or acute kidney disease... There is often a particular cause, such as a kidney infection or hypertension. Kidney stones which cause blockages may also cause a sudden and high rise in both BUN and creatinine. Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease - Blood Chemistry Panel

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sunny578

Mom to an inappropriate urinator
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you! It turns out my mom gives my cat chicken cooked with onion powder. . .

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Onion is known to be harmful to cats. Plain cooked chicken, like chicken poached in water, is fine as treats once in awhile.