Sudden uncontrollable behavior running around in circles and meowing at night time.

outback348

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sudden uncontrollable behavior running around in circles starting at one side of the room to the other until I can get a hold of him to hold him and calm him down.He always has dilated pupils and salvia hanging off is his after an episode . Is he having a seizure? He was bitten in the head when he was younger .You would never know  that and he is partially blind since then . But he plays and he sleeps with me at night .When he is cold he crawls into the sleeping bag  or under a blanket. He is an indoor cat so are the other cats .But I have to dogs that go out just to potty . I am not sure how long ago this circle  running started but it is very distrubing when it happens. I am always afraid he is going to die from the strain it causes. Please help?

speakhandsforme

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If I didn't know better, I'd say it was just a case of night crazies. Common cat behavior at night time. If he's running around in general, looking wild like something is after him, for 10-15 mins every night, my guess is night crazies.

How old is he? For how long does he run? can you give us a time estimate? Does he literally meow the whole time?

If you're worried, I'd suggest a vet check-up just to be sure nothing's getting him.

Good luck. :vibes:

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What she means is what some people call "the ten o'clock crazies." That is the peak of the cat's circadian rhythm, and the time of the day they are the most active. Even the most normal cats can look frantic,so if your cat has a brain injury, he may really look demented. The circling behavior may be related to the blindness.

Trafalgar

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I
Sudden uncontrollable behavior running around in circles starting at one side of the room to the other until I can get a hold of him to hold him and calm him down.He always has dilated pupils and salvia hanging off is his after an episode . Is he having a seizure? He was bitten in the head when he was younger .You would never know that and he is partially blind since then . But he plays and he sleeps with me at night .When he is cold he crawls into the sleeping bag or under a blanket. He is an indoor cat so are the other cats .But I have to dogs that go out just to potty . I am not sure how long ago this circle running started but it is very distrubing when it happens. I am always afraid he is going to die from the strain it causes. Please help?
I know this is an old post, but I figured I'd say this for anyone else dealing with this. This is not late night zoomies, this is a seizure. It is a rare type of seizure that isn't well documented. Likely, when you grab the animal and bundle them up in a blanket to keep them from smashing into everything in the room at full speed, you note that the animal has usually soiled itself. Vomitting and drooling are also part of the process, so dont be alarmed, but try to keep them on their side until the seizure is over. Contact your vet and schedule testing so that your pet can be put on medication and make life a whole lot less stressful.

Cat1111

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is an old thread, but my Cat started doing this last week. I have her on medication. The vet says it is. Or a seizure, but I believe that it is and will be taking her to a pet neurologist this weekend. What is the name of this type of seizure? Do you have more information? I am trying to find answers but there is not much information out there.
Thank you!
Catherine

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What is the name of this type of seizure? Do you have more information? I am trying to find answers but there is not much information out there.
Trafalgar has not been back on this site since they posted the above information, so I doubt you will get a response. I found a general document (see link below) on various types of seizures but not sure it addresses the one you are looking for - and, you may have already seen it in your own search. What your cat is doing may or may not be a seizure, but hopefully the neurologist will help sort that out for you.
Cat Seizure: A Step-By-Step Guide (veterinarians.org)

Cat1111

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Trafalgar has not been back on this site since they posted the above information, so I doubt you will get a response. I found a general document (see link below) on various types of seizures but not sure it addresses the one you are looking for - and, you may have already seen it in your own search. What your cat is doing may or may not be a seizure, but hopefully the neurologist will help sort that out for you.
Cat Seizure: A Step-By-Step Guide (veterinarians.org)
Thank you so much for the reply and the literature. I really appreciate it. Glad I stumbled upon this site!

Cat1111

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Unfortunately we had to put her down this evening. She was the sweetest girl. No matter what we did or what meds she was on, she kept having the seizures. She kept running head first into walls and doors and it didn’t seem right to keep her suffering. Her doctor thought that the seizures could have been caused by a frontal lobe legion/tumor. She also had high calcium in her blood which is an indicator of some cancers. I appreciate the response to this thread- I know it’s old, but I was desperate to find an answer. I’m happy to have stumbled upon this community. When we are ready for another kitty, I will certainly be back.

mxphs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
sorry to hear that Cat1111, sending love and light!