• 10-12 years old

• 12-15 years old

• 15+ years old

Results are only viewable after voting.

AnnaLeyah

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Here's the down-low about what's going; my little girl has been pooping outside of her box. Near the front door, in front of the TV and in front of the bathtub. She does have a history of constipation and I know that can be a sign of that but she's been pooping regularly.
Another problem (which just arose today) is that she peed on my boots by the front door.
I did have a very disruptive roommate for a while and she just moved out about a month ago.

Is she trying to tell me something or is this a sign that I need to take her to the vet?
What can I do to get her to use her litter box properly again?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
The room mate's been gone for a month so that is old news to your cat and isn't part of the current equation of behavior.

You could try containing her in a room with just her things, several litter boxes and a couple different types of litter including Cat Attract litter.

Do you have outside cats, or walked with those boots through an area with other cats?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AnnaLeyah

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi!
The room mate's been gone for a month so that is old news to your cat and isn't part of the current equation of behavior.

You could try containing her in a room with just her things, several litter boxes and a couple different types of litter including Cat Attract litter.

Do you have outside cats, or walked with those boots through an area with other cats?
I never thought of doing that! Thank you! I will definitely try that out.

We have a cat in the neighbourhood who visits quite often. He has rubbed up against those boots in the past and so has several other cats (I pet almost every cat I come across) and they tend to rub against me.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
So your kitty hasn't found the need to "mark her territory" previously, if that's in fact what she was doing on your boots.

I'm wondering if there is/was a new outside cat that bothered your indoor cat more than usual, possibly?

You might start washing the boots, maybe, but mostly if you see any further litterbox behavior issues you'll want to take her to a vet.

Let us know how things go :)

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I'm wondering if there is/was a new outside cat that bothered your indoor cat more than usual, possibly?
:yeah: Great minds think alike! That was my first thought too.

Another thought was how many litter boxes do you have? Here is an Article that may be helpful: How Many Litterboxes Should You Have?

Here is an Article with several links that discuss litter box problems including territorial behavior, eliminating outside the box and stress:
How To Solve Litterbox Problems In Cats: The Ultimate Guide

Last edited:

AnnaLeyah

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
:yeah: Great minds think alike! That was my first thought too.

Another thought was how many litter boxes do you have? Here is an Article that may be helpful: How Many Litterboxes Should You Have?

Here is an Article with several links that discuss litter box problems including territorial behavior, eliminating outside the box and stress:
How To Solve Litterbox Problems In Cats: The Ultimate Guide
I've only got the one, I've never needed more than that for her (she's been good up until now), but I do know that I should have a second one.

Thank you so much for the article, I'll consult that and see if I can use any of the advice in it! ♥

kissthisangel

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Pooping and peeing outside the box for a previously tidy and fastidiously toileting cat can be a sign of a UTI. Exhibiting pain, resting more than usual, shallow breathing and crying when using their litter or excreting waste are also signs. If you notice a pool of pee use a white cloth or white tissue to clean it, blood in urine or a stool can also be a sign of UTI. If you're not seeing any of those signs then it's likely behavioral but I would still 100% recommend a vet visit, just to be sure. If she's only peeing/ pooping on things that have been outside and hasn't changed any other behavior, it sounds more territorial.

If it is unusually hot in your area, like it is for us here now, you might want to consider limiting dry food to a treat and adding water to their wet food to ensure that your cat is getting added moisture. Putting more water bowls down may also encourage her to take a drink.

Finally, when you are cleaning the soiled area, use white vinegar and bicarb to neutralize the odor.

AnnaLeyah

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Furballsmom Furballsmom neely neely kissthisangel kissthisangel
Thank you everyone for the help. However we did connect it to the previous roommate as she left her some of her stuff in the house. She peed on my boots because they were near her roller blades. Everything seemed to connect back to her.

Her litter box behaviour went back to normal after we got rid of her things, and I cleaned the litter box thoroughly. It took some time, but I didn't have to lock her up in a room for a bit. I appreciate everything. She's loving our new roommate! She's beginning to bond to him and he's bonding to her as well.

Attachments