Sudden Increase in Appetite

reba

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well I”m ending the year with 2 kitties after starting it with 4, it’s been a heck of a year. The two remaining I bottle fed from 1 day old. They had various stomach problems when they were very young.

The one I’m writing about is an 8 year old female. She’s been on pred for vomiting and loose stools, but not for a few years now. She’s only 8 lbs but she eats as much as her 15lb brother and now she wakes me up because she wants more.

When they put her on the pred they alluded to intestinal cancer, but there was nothing I could do about it, so decided to wait and see. But now I read if she has small cell I should put her on pred.

Does anyone know if I have her xrayed it would show the thickening? I don’t want to pay $300 for blood work. I do wonder if I should just put her back on the pred.

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
I’d go for ultrasound over X-ray, though a contrast can show the intestines well. I’d also want T4 tested, as thyroid is the moist common cause of appetite increase in seniors.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
An xray may show thickening but the next words out of your vet's mouth will be that they need to continue on with an ultrasound, so I would start with the ultrasound and save a little money as well. Check for diabetes along with the T4.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I agree with all of the above. And no pred until pred is determined to be your only route. I take it she is not vomiting now, or having loose stools again - so what would be the point at this juncture? Besides, from what I know, pred can cause an increase in appetite - kind of going in the wrong direction, so to speak.

So, what specifically are her issues now? Being hungry all the time? Is that it? I think if she had cancer, since you are saying that was thought about years ago, you would know it by now.

Also, when you get to the point of considering T4 and diabetes check (which you should do), find out just exactly the difference in cost compared to a full-scale blood work up. It may be cheaper overall if you do all of it at once. The same concept as the x-ray vs. the ultrasound.

Last edited: