Sudden humping

jarn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So sort of weird...I called the vet and talked to the receptionist, they said they could have the vet call me back but I felt silly.

Timothy (now around 13 years I'm pretty sure) was neutered around 8-9 years old when he was brought to the shelter. Cordelia (3 years) was fixed by the rescue after she had a litter at 15 months.

They've been living together around 2+ years. They get along well.

I have in all the years Timothy's been living with us, seen him hump something once, and it was a throw on the couch that he bunched up.

This afternoon he has humped Cordelia 4 times. 3 times I removed him, once she bit him.

He is humping her back, so his aim is off. Sometimes he bites her neck, but he does straddle her. When I remove him, he has an erection.

Aside from the 'eww' factor (also this afternoon they were on the table where I work, he humped her twice during a meeting, which was VERY distracting - I turned my video off and removed him of course).

Do I need to be concerned about this behavioural change?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At this age, and with a cat he's lived with this long, yeah, I think it's something that warrants further investigation. It could be a hormonal imbalance in him (thyroid, adrenals, etc.), or an infection in her (that approximates the odor of a a cat in heat). I'd suggest running a full thyroid panel on him, at least.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm going to agree with Willowy on this one. If he were 4 years old, I'd simply remind you that many cats neutered after sexual maturity continue to indulge in mating behavior. But yes, at his age, there are so many things that might be going wrong. And do, please, let us know what your vet says.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jarn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Weirdly - the humping occurred while they were on a throw on my dining table. I removed the throw, they both went to sleep in their own place and he's left her alone since then. Maybe that throw?

I'll keep an eye out and if happens again call the vet again.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Could be. "In spring, a young (or old, apparently) (cat) man's thoughts do lightly turn to...fuzzy throws with a girl on top!"