Sudden hind leg lameness in my cat? I'm worried please help

Serenityinaz12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
  • 8 years old, 17 pound male domestic short hair
  • No prior issue at all, seems normal during day, I leave for about an hour then when I come home he is in the same spot he was when I left (on top of dresser by window, laying on a cat heating pad thing)
  • My bed is next to the dresser, when I get home he jumps onto the bed from the dresser (short jump but from soft squishy surface to another soft squishy surface) and his rear hind left leg kind of buckles a little? I couldn't tell if an injury happened in that moment or if his leg did that because he was already favoring it and he was trying not to put weight on it. After this he is limping on the bed a bit, then goes back to sleep
  • Now it's hours later and I've noticed every time he gets up he will favor the leg greatly for a few steps, like it's sore or stiff or something, then he seems to walk it out after about 10-20 steps and he is seemingly back to normal up until he lays down again, then gets up and repeats the process
  • I have also noticed him standing awkwardly when drinking or eating instead of the way he normally does, seems the leg is bothering him
  • Has seemed normal otherwise. Has wanted to play on a couple occasions and I just played without running. Eating, drinking, but hasn't used restroom in a chunk of hours but that isn't abnormal he doesn't go too often when I'm awake

Thoughts? What the hell happened? I'm somewhat panicky as I did some research online and of course I note the most serious issues which I found being maybe a blood clot or heart disease. Granted, there are like 10-15 reasons sites list a pet could show lameness, but I worry about worst case scenario. Vet isn't open until Monday.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it would have been a blood clot it would have gotten progressively worse, quickly. he would not have been able to 'walk it off'. It sounds like an injury from jumping off of something, more like a sprain. Do you have a cat heat mat he could lay on? Or a human heat pad set on low with a hand towel over it? That may help. He may even be getting a touch of arthritis. Monitor him, if he gets worse of course bring him in, I would bet he will be fine in a couple of days.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Have you always had a cat heating pad for him to lay on when he is on top of the dresser, or is that more recent thing? Either way, what was your reasoning for providing him with it? How long has he been favoring that leg, or, was the first time he did so just when he jumped from the dresser to the bed that one time? Sorry but, from your description, I wasn't sure.

He is just on the cusp of being considered a senior, and while still not that old, he could be getting some arthritis. Is he overweight? That can hasten arthritic issues - might even help to explain an injury if there is one. The stiffness you discussed could be from either scenario as well.

I would err on the side of caution and let the vet take a look. It might even be worth it to have an x-ray done to see if there is either an injury or the beginnings of arthritis.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Heat is good for inflammation, it would help him if he was in pain. You can't watch him 24/7 he could have jumped from something and just landed wrong. Blood clots are extremely painful and he would be getting worse quick, so I don't think it is that. As long as he doesn't get worse, like not walking at all on it, he will most likely get better. My cats favored a leg when they got in fights and got bit. Then it developed an abscess. If he doesn't go outside you shouldn't have to worry about that. My cats are strictly indoor now and they have been a lot healthier.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
  • his rear hind left leg kind of buckles a little? I couldn't tell if an injury happened in that moment or if his leg did that because he was already favoring it and he was trying not to put weight on it. After this he is limping on the bed a bit, then goes back to sleep
  • Now it's hours later and I've noticed every time he gets up he will favor the leg greatly for a few steps, like it's sore or stiff or something, then he seems to walk it out after about 10-20 steps and he is seemingly back to normal up until he lays down again, then gets up and repeats the process
  • I have also noticed him standing awkwardly when drinking or eating instead of the way he normally does, seems the leg is bothering him
  • Has seemed normal otherwise. Has wanted to play on a couple occasions and I just played without running. Eating, drinking, but hasn't used restroom in a chunk of hours but that isn't abnormal he doesn't go too often when I'm awake
I would definitely let him set the pace on his activity-level and walking; don't try to push him into playing or anything (unless he initiates playtime because he's bored, lol!) He will self-limit his movements if he is in pain -- so watch for that, and for other signs of pain and decreases in eating or drinking, etc., until you can contact the vet Monday. Maybe take some notes, to go over with the vet when or if you call or email, if setting up an appointment to be seen.