“Sudden Growling, Hissing in Cat—-“

hfree18

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello Everyone!

I have an 11 year old long-haired gray kitty named Meeko. He has been recently exhibiting a lot of abnormal behaviors. Clear out of the blue he will start to hiss, growl, and scream. He will then run off and hide for several hours. Places he’s sought comfort out while hiding include the cupboard, in the litter box, and around the toilet in the bathroom. I took him to the vet and his bloodwork came back all normal, so essentially a clean bill of health. He was given subcutaneous fluids and an anti-nausea Cerenia injection. The only change has been my parents are on vacation and he is particularly close to my dad, whom I live with. Does this sound like a medical problem, psychological problem, or a behavioral issue, or perhaps all of the above?
Anyone have any thoughts on this? I appreciate all input and feedback!

Thanks so much!!!

——Heidi

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello Everyone!

I have an 11 year old long-haired gray kitty named Meeko. He has been recently exhibiting a lot of abnormal behaviors. Clear out of the blue he will start to hiss, growl, and scream. He will then run off and hide for several hours. Places he’s sought comfort out while hiding include the cupboard, in the litter box, and around the toilet in the bathroom. I took him to the vet and his bloodwork came back all normal, so essentially a clean bill of health. He was given subcutaneous fluids and an anti-nausea Cerenia injection. The only change has been my parents are on vacation and he is particularly close to my dad, whom I live with. Does this sound like a medical problem, psychological problem, or a behavioral issue, or perhaps all of the above?
Anyone have any thoughts on this? I appreciate all input and feedback!

Thanks so much!!!

——Heidi
I am not sure what could be going on if he had a clean bill of health. I guess it could be behavioral and he misses your dad. Are there any other changes that have happened… cats or critters outside he may be reacting to? There could be a health issue that dvm did not notice such as blood pressure or other things. Usually when they hide they don’t feel well and or are scared. Here is an article. I hope he feels better soon.

Why Is My Cat Growling? How To Calm Them & When To Seek Help

sunny578

Mom to an inappropriate urinator
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes, perhaps he needs a more complete work-up? Are there times of the day when he just acts like his normal self? Is he eating and using the box like normal?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Clear out of the blue he will start to hiss, growl, and scream. He will then run off and hide for several hours. Places he’s sought comfort out while hiding include the cupboard, in the litter box, and around the toilet in the bathroom...I took him to the vet and his bloodwork came back all normal, so essentially a clean bill of health. He was given subcutaneous fluids and an anti-nausea Cerenia injection.
What bloodwork was done? Urinalysis too? So, was he dehydrated? Hence the reason for the fluids? Why the Cerenia - not eating well? I guess it would help to know why the vet treated him in this way.

It would also help to know - as mentioned with the posters above - other issues that could be attributing to his problems. How is his eating, drinking, litter box use?

He is 11 yo, so he could be a bit upset over the temporary loss of his 'best buddy', but that is not all that is going on here.