Sudden Dominance

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Connor is my biggest kitty.  Connor and Murphy are from the same litter - born March 4 - and I think Mickey is around the same age.  When Connor and Murphy were around 4 months, Connor started expressing some dominance behaviors - pinning Murphy by the scruff and biting hard enough to make him cry.  I got them both neutered; problem solved.  Mickey was doing that kind of stuff when we first rescued him.  Again, got him neutered and it stopped.  Suddenly, Connor is pulling the dominance crap again.  Pinning them and biting their necks pretty hard.  I just caught him pinning and humping Murphy.  What do I do?  He was neutered in July or August - somewhere around there.  And Mickey was neutered at least 2 months ago.

Last edited:

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
When Connor was neutered, did the vet removed both his testicles? There are cases where some kittens did not have both fully descended or have one underdeveloped testicles. So not sure if that's Connor's case as he was neutered at 4 months.
So if let's say that there's one testicle that have not descended and the vet took out only one, there is still one more intact and now he is 10 months old and the tetesterones are raging inside of him now and therefore displaying this behavior. Unless we rule that out and hope it's just play aggression.
This is my guess. When I wanted to neuter my boy at 5 months old, his vet says to wait till both testicles are fully descended then proceed with the neutering and he was neutered at 7 months old after the vet has checked and confirmed that there are two.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I dunno - I didn't ask cuz I didn't know that was a possibility.  The vet didn't say anything.  It also wasn't their regular vet - their regular vet was on vacation.  Of course my cats decided to start showing signs of puberty during the first vacation my vet and his wife took in almost 10 years.  Why not?

I can call the vet office where they were neutered tomorrow.  I was also planning on calling their regular vet to see if he thinks it's anything to be concerned about from a medical sense.