Sudden Death

emelyssa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My six year old cat Fright Nite passed away yesterday. He was fine and no sign of any issues. Then he vomited, which isn't entirely abnormal for a cat (we thought it was a hairball), except he let out this horrible cry and seemed to be rasping and struggling. I took him to the ER vet immediately, but on the ride there he continued rasping and then it stopped. He was already unresponsive and they had to start CPR immediately when we got there. There was blood coming out of the tube from inside him and it was all over the floor when I went into the operating room to say goodbye. The doctor said she suspected he had an underlying heart condition such as an enlarged heart or cardiomyopathy. She said something about a blood clot. He didn't make it. I am so shocked and devastated. My son didn't want him to have an autopsy, but I'm still wondering what happened. I'm just wondering if anyone has experienced anything like this before?

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First, I am so sorry for your loss and it being completely unexpected. I experienced something similar May 2020. Husband and I were in the kitchen and our female cat came in and let out a horrible howl. We knew something was wrong. Took her to the vet and it turned out she was in kidney failure. We put her to sleep that day. My youngest didn't even get a chance to say goodbye as he was already at school when it happened.

CindyH66

Peanuts Mom
Adult Cat
Purraise
oh, dear ! I am so very sorry for your loss. How devastating ! My friend experienced something similar a few years ago as well. She adopted a cat , Felix . He was a tuxedo about 1 year old. The lady who gave him to my friend had JUST had him to a vet for a check up. He came with a clean bill of health. No issues we knew of. He was beautiful , great personality. One morning ..only a few weeks later she called me in tears ..said he jumped up on the bed , let out a horrible howl .she went to pick him up, he drew his last breath , and died !! she was shocked and devastated. Just like that !! in what appeared to be a healthy cat, and he had JUST been to a vet for a check up! she did not have autopsy done; just chose to bury him. Near as we can figure, he must have had a blood clot. We now know, they can get them , and they wreak havoc on kitties. Usually caused by some underlying condition and that can escape even the vets eye. My sincerest sympathy to you and your family. It is difficult loss and one many of us never see coming. :sniffle:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry.....It does sound like a heart problem, most likely something he was born with. Sudden death in cats that are young almost always is. Diseases, etc. almost always take longer and show symptoms. Most vets don't check for heart problems in young cats unless there are symptoms. My thoughts and prayers are with you.....

CindyH66

Peanuts Mom
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry.....It does sound like a heart problem, most likely something he was born with. Sudden death in cats that are young almost always is. Diseases, etc. almost always take longer and show symptoms. Most vets don't check for heart problems in young cats unless there are symptoms. My thoughts and prayers are with you.....
a little different vein, but so similar .. my brother had a dog that happened to as well. they had 4 German Shepherds. all healthy as far as they knew. all young from same litter. ... all playing one day , and one just dropped , and died !! such a shock !! the vet determined he had a congenital heart problem , and checked the others ..who were all ok. no way of knowing until it happened that one of them was carrying a problem. It can happen to any pet, I suppose. so sad.. I know how traumatic it is. My heart really goes out to those who go thru it !

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
My Maine Coon mix Eliot was about 7 when he died in the same way that other members are describing. He walked down the hall one Saturday morning, lifting his front paws in an odd manner, let out a yell and fell over at my feet. The vet guessed it was a clot from an undiagnosed heart condition. One vet tech had always insisted that he heard a murmur in Eliot's heart, but the vet thought it was very minor.

I have a 4 year old now with HCM and it was diagnosed on an ultrasound with no symptoms present otherwise; these heart conditions can be very insidious and not noticeable to the owner.

I am very sorry for your sudden loss of Fright Nite. An autopsy would not really serve any purpose in this case except to prolong your grief.