Sudden Death/In Shock

nanknits

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My five and a half year old female cat Charlie died sometime in the night. My husband woke up to feed her and my male cat Boomer and he thought she was sleeping on a chair. But when she didn't get up for her morning canned food he realized she was dead. When I woke up he was already digging a grave and he told me to brace myself.

I am racking my brain to try to figure out what happened. She was fine yesterday and running around the house at high speeds and eating treats and everything. Last night she was sleeping like this on my husband's legs (see below). Charlie last saw the vet last summer who said she was in great shape. I keep thinking what I could have done to fix this - if there was something I should have noticed. My other cat Boomer is unusually low energy today - they used to play together all the time.

Outlook-yccqef54.png

Does anyone know what could have happened?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am so so sorry this happened. Often when it's sudden like this, it points to the heart or a stroke.

There is nothing you could have done differently. She had a wonderful life with you-all. Bless your hearts, my condolences for all of you!!

Try some cat music for Boomer - Spotify has a collection of harp pieces called Cat In My Arms that may help him.

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had pretty much the something happen to my large orange/red girl, Ellie. She was no more than five. I had rescued her off the street pregnant. She had three kittens two weeks latter. Three years latter, I went into her room to feed her. And she started crying in pain and shuddering. When I sat down, she jumped into my lap, and continued crying and shuddering. She died about three minutes latter.

I have been fortunate in that most of my cats died at an old age. But some did not. One of FIV, and another of hypothyroidism.
We do what we can. As you did.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nanknits

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much Furballsmom and Archycat! I've had maybe 20 or so cats in my life (I just retired) and have never had one die suddenly. I guess it is harder when you don't have a chance to prepare. I will look into some cat music for Boomer. Archycat, I'm so sorry about Ellie. I wish you'd had more time with her.

Now off to look at photos of Charlie and cry. sigh

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Charlie, dream you deep. Your pawprints are on someone's heart forever.

While we can never know for certain what happened, this is what I suspect. I suspect that Charlie was born with some defect that was undetectable until it took her, some small thing in her heart or brain, almost certainly. If your vet suspected nothing, then there was almost certainly nothing for you to see. So let go of any guilt you might have. What I know, from how your husband found her, is that her passing was very quick, and painless. In the moment between one breath and the next, she simply...left. And what a blessed way to go, sleeping deeply, comfortably, in a place you love, surrounded by those you love. Without pain, without fear, just...suddenly free and flying in sunlight, surrounded by Love, in That Place Where All Things Are Known. And from that place, she sends her Love back to you, to thank you for a life that never knew pain, or hate, or fear. Not while you were there.

nanknits

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much mamanyt1953. Your post was so beautiful and I really appreciated the sentiment. It means a lot!

It turns out most of the photos I had of Charlie were lost when I got rid of my old computer so now I just feel more guilty. I wish I'd spent more time with her, played with her more, let her sit on my lap more (I am a crafter and I couldn't knit or crochet with her on my lap as she'd eat the yarn) and told her I loved her more. Thank you for your response as it is helping me get through this awful day.

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry for your loss, it is always so difficult to deal with but when they pass suddenly it is quite a shock. Our first cat Smoke who just showed up at our house in 1995 was about the same age when she died suddenly, flopping around from what was most likely a heart attack; we rushed her to a vet but it was too late, and when I talked to the woman who was our vet at the time she said "even if I was in the room with her with medicine I probably couldn't have saved her", sometimes these things just happen sadly.....but she probably drifted off peacefully which was a blessing, but it will haunt you for awhile but you did nothing wrong, you couldn't have seen this coming nor did anything more than you did, that is just the grief talking and eventually it will stop talking, but right now you will ride an emotional roller coaster which is normal, but with time you will realize you did nothing wrong, you did all that you could, God just needed a little Angel for some reason.....

"Their last breath on Earth is their first breath in Heaven" :rbheart:

I am so sorry for your loss, you will meet again someday and it will be wonderful, I hope your heart heals a bit more each day, God Bless.....:alright: :grouphug2: :rbheart:

+Jeffrey+

Lady G. & Kobe (Gone But Not Forgotten!)
Young Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry for your loss, I know the pain you're feeling very well.

She may very well have died of natural causes, but since you have another cat, and mentioned how it seemed low on energy, make sure there is nothing toxic they could have been getting into, or anything dangerous for them to have easily swallowed. If you have plants inside, look up the type you have and see if they're toxic to cats. Any house cleaning products, insect products, rubber bands (cats can swallow them), anything you can think of that could harm them? Not only inside of your house, but outside as well (if you let them out). Just thought I'd mention this, as I'd hate the other cat to get into the same thing and be harmed.

Wishing you the very best in the days ahead.

RIP Charlie

nanknits

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks so much les26 and Jeffrey! I think I probably would have considered having a necropsy done if the veterinarians around here were not running a limited operation. I am still in shock that a completely healthy-seeming cat could be dead the next morning. She did pee on the chair cushion (perhaps a reaction to death?) but she didn't look like she suffered - she just looked like she was sleeping peacefully. I did think maybe it was poison but I use mostly nontoxic stuff and they don't have access to the outside or the garage.

Les26 I am sorry to hear about Smoke. It feels harder to process than a death of a pet who was sick or old just because of the additional shock. It makes no sense.

+Jeffrey+

Lady G. & Kobe (Gone But Not Forgotten!)
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much les26 and Jeffrey! I think I probably would have considered having a necropsy done if the veterinarians around here were not running a limited operation. I am still in shock that a completely healthy-seeming cat could be dead the next morning. She did pee on the chair cushion (perhaps a reaction to death?) but she didn't look like she suffered - she just looked like she was sleeping peacefully. I did think maybe it was poison but I use mostly nontoxic stuff and they don't have access to the outside or the garage.

Les26 I am sorry to hear about Smoke. It feels harder to process than a death of a pet who was sick or old just because of the additional shock. It makes no sense.
Yes, she most likely peed as a reaction to death. And when you say she seemed very healthy, and playing, this is what makes me think she may have gotten into something harmful. I certainly hate putting this awful thought in your head, but I wanted to bring this up because you have another cat. And if there is something harmful lying around for it to easily get into, it needs to be safely put away. What about your crafting supplies? Are they easily accessible and anything in there for them to easily swallow? Cats are like young children, they will get into everything, as I'm sure you already know. Just give the house a good look over.

Again, I am so sorry for your loss. You hang in there.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I'm so sorry nanknits nanknits This must have been an awful shock for you both. All animals, and humans too, relax when they pass so it's quite common for the bladder to empty. I doubt this had anything to do with the reason why she passed. I suspect, as Mamanyt1953 said, she just had some defect that had been there since birth.

Sending you hugs, I'm very sorry for your loss.

:hugs::hugs::hugs:

babs' slave

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry to hear about Charlie. The "shock" passings are awful. I am glad you got to know him.
From what I have read, leaving Charlie's things (toys, pillows,etc) as is for a little while (instead of packing them up) might help Boomer as he grieves.
God bless you and yours

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The bladder loses control in death, if she looked as if she was sleeping, the death was so sudden that I'm sure she went quickly and didn't suffer at all. Something this quickly usually points to a heart defect, possibly something she was born with. There would have been no reason for a vet to check for something like this in one so young and with no symptoms. My heart goes out to you, though no heart is ever prepared for losing a loved one, to lose one with no warning what so ever is especially tragic.
She has a powerful tie of love to your souls, she will be forever as close as your thoughts and prayers. Try not to dwell on her death, there is nothing that can change anything and it would elevate her death above her life, and that can never be. Her life is ever so much more important. You shared 5 years of happiness with her, she knew love and caring and to her that was everything. She died at home, surrounded by the love that came from her family, she wanted for nothing, she is at peace.
Take care of yourself you have others who need and love you, give Boomer a kiss for me, and hold on tight to those in your family. There is no guarantee for any of us a tomorrow, live each and every day we are blessed with to it's fullest....... RIP beautiful Charlie. You will always be missed, you will have a secure place in loving hearts for eternity. May the good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet again!

nanknits

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks again Jeffrey, Norachan, bab's slave and di and bob! Your words are really helping me deal with the loss of Charlie and I really appreciate your responses.

Jeffrey, I am doing as you said and checking around for any clues or problems in the house. Boomer my other cat seems okay, just different. He meows less (he's normally a real talker) but he does seem to be enjoying all the extra playing time and petting and treats.

It is hard to accept that sometimes life is not fair. Five year old healthy-seeming cats shouldn't die. I had so many dreams for the future. My husband was going to build a cool catio for Charlie and Boomer this summer, the two cats were just getting to the stage of grooming each other, and I was excited about us all growing old together. I just assumed we'd have ten or fifteen more years together. I will give Boomer our other cat a kiss from you di and bob and I hope you all give your cats some extra love today. I guess we just never know how long we'll have together.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
when their time with us is short, I believe it is because they asked to spend it with us as a favor from the universe. They share their love with us for a purpose, just as some offer themselves to be rescued to open a human's heart. We can never know the purpose, just accept the blessing.

If it helps, a doctor once told me that his cousin, who was 21, was playing basketball. She leapt up for a jump shot, hit the floor collapse flat and was dead. Brain anyrism (broken blood vessel in the brain.) If they didn't think to look for that sort of thing in a 21 year old human athlete, they wouldn't test for it in a cat. It does mean that such things are real and so rare that no one would have thought to look for it in a cat.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
nanknits nanknits , I'm sorry for your sudden and unexpected loss. Your Charlie was a beauty indeed, she seems she was very sweet and tender.
I agree with what others said, but take comfort from the fact that Charlie left without suffering.

I know it too well what waking up and finding your cat dead means, because it happened to me as well, but in my case Pallina was unwell and was under treatments and constant visits to the vet. Nonetheless her death came unexpected... I don't know if she was awake when she died, if she was suffering, if she was feeling alone and was scared, without me next to her. These thoughts have been killing me day by day since August 2018, and I will never forgive myself for this.

Your Charlie left in peace and painlessly, this should help you a lot, knowing that she stepped from her beautiful dream she was having to a warm and friendly place where nothing will ever hurt her.
She knows you both loved her to bits and she is protecting you from up there.

RIP Charlie