Sudden Change in Eating Habits

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

linkworshiper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is he using the litter box normally these days?
Yep. Taking some really long pees but I think that's because he's basically put himself on a liquid diet. He's also still very soft and he plays with Hemingway all the time. Like more than usual.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sounds good. Keep an eye on him though, which I know you'll be doing anyway. :petcat:

drelocks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Trust your instincts and go to vet. It may be nothing, it may be something. If something, finding it early makes all the difference.

Just find a vet who listens to you.

linkworshiper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
UPDATE!

First off, thanks to everyone who helped me figure out the best course of action. Last week, I took Reginald to the vet, where they did both blood and urine tests. The vet said she was going to treat it like a urinary block until the test results came back in and we had a followup appointment (which was today). Apparently his urine and blood tests turned up far better than the vet expected after last week's tests, which had suggested either early kidney failure or a urinary blockage. Today, the result came back as crystals, so we're to adjust the diet to special food to keep that at bay.

AND NOW -- for my next question!

The urinary tract food the vet gave me last week did not go down well on Reginald. He absolutely refused to touch it, even when I tried various textures (flaked, pate, etc). The vet gave me three other kids of urinary food to try, but I'm worried he's going to be picky about these too. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get him to eat food he might not prefer?

renji.jpg

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am having trouble getting Feeby to eat her food - also urinary care. She used to eat it, and now she is not so hot on it. She was previously, until a couple of years ago a dry food only eater. She initially was OK with it the canned versions, but now not so much. I have been adding flavors to it - through bone broths, baby food meats, and now am adding a touch of other canned foods just to entice her to eat it. If there was any food he would eat, add some of that to the urinary care foods and see if that might help.

linkworshiper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So "lunchtime" is coming up soon. I have a bunch of chicken broth/bullion and that sort of thing. I also have all the regular food Reginald likes. Should I just do a gradual shift in ratios? Or should I just try the new food right away and see what happens? I suppose I can at least try rewarding him with treats.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Anytime you make a food change it should be gradual. So, I would add some of the 'new' food to the food he likes and then increase the new food and decrease the old food over time. Broths, especially ones for cats, are better than human ones because of the sodium. Bullion is out - look at the sodium count, I think they are extremely high. If he had treats before, I wouldn't stop!!!

linkworshiper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Okay, so I just fed the dumblebutts. I randomly chose a brand to do first, which was the Purina Vet Proplan. I put Reginald's food next to my desk so I could watch him eat, and I was surprised that he cleaned up the whole thing! I had mixed in some water (which I usually do), but also did a little touch of 'better than bullion'. I also took out some Miko salmon food I have and then strained a bunch of the juice on top of the food as well. I'll try later without the toppers to see if he likes the food itself or what, but if I can find at least one brand he'll eat, I'll take it.