Sudden Behavior Shift+urine Marking

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So my youngest Cat, Alana, suddenly did just about a 180. She had been fine since I adopted her and Patch last year and infact she spent most of her time together with Patch, playing, grooming, napping, etc. She wasn't exactly best friends with Fresca but they got along and would share my lap and sometimes chase eachother around in a non-aggressive way (no fluffed tails, no ears back, no hissing, etc.) but a couple months back she started being aggressive toward my senior, Callie, who responded in kind and kicked her ass every time so now Alana acts afraid of her. The same thing happened with Fresca, Alana started being aggressive toward her and got her ass kicked, so now she's acting afraid of her too.

After that she stopped socializing with Patch and became very territorial toward me, she constantly wanted to be in my lap and sleeping next to or on me, and then she started repeatedly urinating in places where the other Cats spend a lot of time, and a few spots that Fresca had peed when she had struvites in her urine. I had Alana's urine tested and it came back totally clean, which confirmed my suspicion that it was a behavioral issue and not medical. The fact that she's using the litterbox instead of peeing on everything else in the room she's in is more evidence of that.

I've tried everything I know of. I've cleaned each spot she's peed with enzyme cleaner, I've tried isolating her and doing a re-introduction, I've tried isolating Fresca since she was the one Alana had the most conflict with, but nothing has helped. Every time she gets out of her room she will pee on something within a few minutes, the last time I let her out she made a beeline for my bed and peed on it.

I don't want to have to take her back to the shelter I got her from but I'm about out of options at this point. This whole situation is making it so I can't foster any Cats because she's in my foster room.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi! I'm wondering if it's territorial due to a cat or other animal she can detect outside or in another apartment (depending on where you live).

In case you aren't familiar with these, there might be something here that could help;

How To Deal With Non-recognition Aggression In Cats

How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction

Six Surefire Strategies To Reduce Stress In Cats
I live in farm country and there are stray cats around, but she was a feral herself and strays never bothered her. Infact at the shelter she was very friendly with other Cats, it's a very recent change that she's started acting like this.

I'm no expert but to me it seems like she's jealous that my other Cats get attention from me instead of paying attention to her all the time. She's always been clingy with me and has only gotten moreso since she started acting like this.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm no expert but to me it seems like she's jealous that my other Cats get attention from me instead of paying attention to her all the time. She's always been clingy with me and has only gotten moreso since she started acting like this.
I almost posted this article as well above, and so now that you're mentioning it, in case you haven't seen this one already;

Do Cats Get Jealous? (and What To Do About It When They Do)