Sudden Behavior Change & Copping with Cat Pancreatitis

Status
Not open for further replies.

pvocc21

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So, my cat about 11 years old, I want out of town for Christmas this past holiday, and literally came home to an entirely different cat. She was completely aggressive, hissing at everybody, peeing and popping even at mere attempt of just getting close to her, sometimes as bad as just the mere looking in her direction. She always been a left alone cat but would at least hang out and be on the coach with me and sleep with the other cat. She just a total spaz now and happened what seems like overnight for me. I sort of deducted this isn't normal and off to the vet we want. Appears she has high reading in pancreatitis levels, vet says 50 when normally 0 to 5. So got her on new cat food, and did a few rounds of medicine the vet provided,

Because she been peeing pooping so much, I finally had to house her off in the spare bathroom we have, and setup a cat box and food there, and she been relatively content sense. But she literally living there for 3 weeks now and has no intent getting out, even if i leave the gate open. I even have webcam watching her, and she literally makes no attempt, not even to peek out the door.

After the new food and medicine still not really seeing any improvement in the aggressiveness. She will sometime be chill enough when I go to the bathroom, talk and meow, and allow petting, but then other times the sightless movement will make her go 0 to 10 spaz. Not sure the Pancreatitis medicine doing that much or new food. Has anybody else experience this before with a cat who has Pancreatitis?

Is this sort of the new normal? Is there anything better i can do. The vet i have sort of seem to gate keep you through a bunch of dummy tech who don't know anything, and the only answer seems to be will write you up more medicine. and the only way to get a real Dr thought is to schedule a vet visit, which only stresses the cat out more. Plus the process of getting her into a cat carrier. Which was hard enough before, but now that she on a spaz level, it an entirely new level of hard, and includes being clawed up like no other. So really want to keep the vet visits minimal as possible.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pvocc21

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yeah i've wondered the same thing. which i'm wondering if anything i'm giving her is helping or not.

She currently on Cerenia Tabs, which the bottle says prevents acute vomiting, but she hasn't vomit at all, but the vet still suggested this for whatever reason. Maybe it's just an inaccurate or generic label description on the bottle.
I've also been giving her Gabapentin 1mls twice a day from the left-over bottle from the first round of medicine we had, which was post to be the one that helped with any pain.
And we updated her food to Gastrointestinal Cat Food because a handful of friends and family suggested that helped their pet when they had Pancreatitis issues.

But wasn't sure how long the improvement would take for a cat.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
So, my cat about 11 years old, I want out of town for Christmas this past holiday, and literally came home to an entirely different cat.
Your first sentence made me wonder, who was taking care of her while you were on holiday? This could have stressed her out and stress can cause inflammation which can cause Pancreatitis. I'm not saying stress alone would cause this but it can be a contributing factor. Did your vet run a fPLI test? If not I would definitely ask about it. Our cat had two flare ups with Pancreatitis and the second time he had an ultrasound which helped with the diagnosis. He was also on Prednisolone to reduce the inflammation.

You might find some helpful information in one or more of these TCS threads that discusses Pancreatitis:
Any experience with Pancreatitis?
Gastroenteritis/pancreatitis questions.
Help Pancreatitis
Help Pancreatitis

Good luck, please keep us posted on her progress. :crossfingers:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pvocc21

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry this site didn't do a good job notifying me there was a reply. Alot has happened sense then. We unfortunately, had to put our little kitty down. :( The issue wasn't Pancreatitis after all, further testing, they discovered she had a mass, and it was cancerous. It definitely was a rough week or two. Thanks for all the help though!!!

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
So very sorry to read this news. We'll close the thread now out of respect for your loss and we invite you to post a tribute to your kitty in our Crossing the Bridge forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.