Sudden aversion to flirt pole

jeannem

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
As of this morning Suki is afraid of the flirt pole. I had been using it for 5 minutes or so in the mornings to get rid of most of her zoomies before she ate some.
Any ideas what may have happened over night? We keep the pole on top of a 2 drawer chest she can easily get to. That is where we always have kept it.
j

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It's difficult to say but I'm thinking something unrelated might have fallen from a height and she's now thinking anything in the air is not good?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jeannem

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I agree now. Suki is not climbing on anything high. She used to get on top of the kitchen cabinets and a very tall cabinet in another room. I think she may have fallen and hit I tread mill when she was jumping down from the window in there.
j

jeannem

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Suki jumped once at the flirt pole this morning. Then ran. It's like she forgot to be scared. She also climbed to the top of my chest of drawers but didn't go all the way to the top of the 6 foot cabinet. So she's getting her mojo back :D

jeannem

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's gone again :eek: Suki looks wistfully up at the cabinets but will only jump as high as my chest of drawers. She doesn't go on up to the high cabinet. She hasn't been up on the high kitchen cabinets at all. She has been on the counters though. I don't know what to do to get her mojo back!
j

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm thinking you're right, she may have slipped and fallen during a jump launch and that has scared her, or she landed on something or knocked something over during a down jump.

It's likely that anything you try to do won't really help for those high cabinets (i had something a little similar with my Poppycat and even lifting him up doesn't seem to do it for him.) - she may just have to work it out in her head as she successfully navigates the other, lower jumps and landings :)

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fornow, just try to keep the "birdie" on the ground, or maybe paw high, so she can bat at it but not jump. Once her confidence is up, maybe she'll feel like jumping again.

But also, if she doesn't get her mojo back soon, it might be a good idea to take her to the vet for an x-ray. She might have hurt her back or legs.

jeannem

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Still isn't jumping or following the flirt pole. She seems agile enough otherwise. I don't think I can talk hubby into taking her to the vet either. She is using a wooden kitchen stool as a juggle jim.
I discovered this morning clips from the flirt pole are missing from the most bird like attachment. I am hoping to order Jackson Galaxy flirt pole and a play package that includes a short tunnel.
If I get these I will see if she deigns to accept them.
j