Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm not sure but this might be of help if you haven't seen it;

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
UPDATE

I removed the canned food for 5-6 days and he almost stopped shaking his head/ears and scratching BUT he had really bad diarreah cause I switched him to homecooked chicken (didn't find turkey at the supermarket) and he seems to be intolerant to it (I remember that happened the same 1.5 years ago...)

So now I'm back to the canned turkey + homecooked turkey, mixed, basically the diet he had for the last year just to get his stomach soothed

From here, if the cause of this "allergy" really is the canned (it could be POTATO or CARRAGEENAN), I have two options:

- transition into Darwins raw lamb (he likes red meat, his stool was perfect with darwins when I tried 2 years ago...I stopped because he started vomitimg but I'm pretty sure was the bone content of darwins turkey...their lamb has no bones)

- keep his current diet but switch the buffalo basics turkey and potato to a new canned one with turkey but without potato/carrageenan and keep mixing it with homemade turkey

Question is: does a turkey canned food with out any filler, emulsifier, gum, carrageenan and veggies exist ? At a fair price of <$2 per can
To your last question,
RAWZ | Turkey & Turkey Liver Pâté

It comes in a little more than $2/can for the 5.5 oz. Before my Krista's latest poop struggle saga, she loves/loved and thrived on the turkey. But I've got everything calmed down finally on the rabbit. Everything but her weight loss. But that's another story (suspected lymphoma.)

Turkey-only recipes are kind of hard to find. Most mix in chicken making them unsuitable for figuring out food intolerance.

But besides the proteins, yes, the other ingredients do make a difference. Carageenan and agar agar always upset Krista's stomach--usually resulting in barfing. Xanthan gum runs right through her. Any food we tried that had cranberries (and there's far too many of them!) just meant I was cleaning cranberry vomit later that night.

Rawz will send you samples if you write them. If you find a match between a flavor he likes and one that agrees with him all the way through, then you could go to an online retailer if there isn't a store near you.

RAWZ | Where to Buy

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Turkey-only recipes are definitely hard to find so I couldn't agree more with daftcat75 daftcat75 about trying Rawz. It's very good food -- write to them, tell them the problem, and ask for samples. Rawz isn't a cheap food, though the prices vary considerably at the stores where I live. (Well, past tense there, I haven't bought it in some time -- our cats have a love-hate relationship with it!)

Personally, I would continue to stay away from the carrageenan and agar-agar if at all possible.

Also, the Darwin boneless food sounds like a decent backup if the Rawz doesn't work out.

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Another vote for Rawz Turkey, it’s probably the best can you can buy in the States.
the other Turkey flavour I feel confident recommending:
Dave's Pet Food Cat’s Meow 95% Turkey & Turkey Liver Canned Cat Food, 5.5-oz, case of 24:
https://app.chewy.com/MpXO0QEat8
but it has Guar gum and cassia gum so I don’t think it should be your first choice. But my guys love this food so much and apparently guar gum is not so horrible.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mrcclms

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Perfect

I'm getting him slowly back to a good digestion and BM with his "old diet"

Once he is settled, I'll start replacing Buffalo Basics Turkey and Potato with the Rawz Turkey

Very slowly

And see if the poop stays good and the allergy symptoms diminish

If not, I'll transition to Darwins Lamb