Sudden Aggressive Behavior

Meieiei

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I a fairly new cat owner, I've been with her for 3 months already. She's 2 years old and spayed. Navi S. Timoshenko is very sweet and likes to be close to me, she's almost always following me.

We have a routine we do every night, I will go pick her up, bring her to my bed and brush her before sleeping.

Last night Navi was by the window and when I tried to pick her up, she meowed aggressively and tried to bite me. She's never tried to bite me before, not even when we're playing. I looked outside, but nothing was there to be seen. So I just let her be? She kept meowing semi-aggressively every now and then by the window.

Usually when I wake she would be purring and meowing in bed next to me, but this morning she was at the window again, not letting me touch her. Navi was consistently staring aggressively with an anxious pose and sudden load meows. And when I opened the door to get off to work, she tried escaping, this is very unusual behavior as well. I have never seen her like that, not even the first day.

Is there an apparent threat outside that I'm not seeing? What can be causing her this distress?

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
My bet is that she is seeing something like another cat outside that is getting her riled up and not interested in being distracted at that point. The fact that she also wanted to rush out the door says there is something out there.

When a cat is in that mood best not to try to move move them or pet them. You can try leaving the curtains or blind closed which won’t make her happy but should help her calm down.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Meieiei

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My bet is that she is seeing something like another cat outside that is getting her riled up and not interested in being distracted at that point. The fact that she also wanted to rush out the door says there is something out there.

When a cat is in that mood best not to try to move move them or pet them. You can try leaving the curtains or blind closed which won’t make her happy but should help her calm down.
Yeah, that is what I first thought, I even went outside to see what was there, but I couldn't see anything. So I was wondering what other reasons can cause this behavior? I was curious of the input more experienced cat owners might have.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
There could have been a cat or other animal out there for just a second that you missed when you went out. And all it takes is a single glance of a backyard invader to set a cat off or make them obsessive about looking outside. If she was an outdoors cat before she may also have a very strong hunting and territorial instinct.

I am about 99% sure it was something she saw outdoors.

Shane Kent

Crazy Cat Gentleman
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat Taz gets aggressive when he sees another cat out the window. I don't always see the cat but I have seen a few cats over time. I allow my cats out on our property but don't allow them outside alone, they get supervised visits to the outdoors. One time I was out back with him and he reached a corner of the house and turned aggressive. No cat around, I think a cat may have sprayed on the corner of the house as he has never done it before or since. The scent of another cat or seeing another cat seems to anger him.