Suckling kittens: differences between male and female

MoriartyX

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, it's me again with new questions :)

Ever since Coco (F) and Kylo (M) arrived, she would start suckling some types of blankets. We recently made a bed with a box, a cushion and a blanket, and she randomly goes there and start suckling and kneading.

Kylo, on the other hand, would never suckle, just knead in almost every kind of blanket or even the couch cushions. He specially likes to do it when we watch tv and the stares on the screen while he does that, something that is really funny to see.

Anyway, here is something I've seen now more than once. Coco would go to that DIY bed we made them and start suckling and kneading. He would notice it, and go there to kneade as well, but recently he seems like he can't find place for him (the bed is not very large) and start kneading over her, his paws on her sides. He starts rounding, as I said, like he can't find physical space to do it, and go back over her. And then he would get closer to her, like sitting on her. He doesn't even move his hips, but something made me take him the first time I see him do this and he had an erection. This has happened some times now. I tend to pick him up and he seems like he is bored and just goes away. Is this normal behavior, to be aroused by her sister suckling a blanket?

They are around 14 weeks wold now (they were born in the first days of June).

I've read many things regarding when is the best time to neuter them, and it's surprising that almost every vet has a different opinion. As we adopted them from a rescue association, we have the clinic for the procedures already set, but even on the same clinic two different vets gave us different ideal times! One said that they need to be at least 2,5 kg, so the boy would go first, but it would be ideal around 5 months. The other one, last week, told us that they shouldn't never be neutered before 6 months. When I expressed my concern, as they are male and female, and we don't want to risk them maturing early and Kylo impregnating Coco, he reluctantly said that then we could have him neutered a little before he makes 6 months.

What are your thoughts on this?

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I believe it's their weight that is more important than age. Shelters spay kittens as young as 8 weeks in order to adopt them out. I got my two fixed at 4 months. 2 lbs seems to be the minimum weight that they must be to get fixed.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
My vet insists on kittens being 4 months old and stands very firm on it, even if ferals who are outside are in question.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoriartyX

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, sadly even the minimum weight is not the same as you mention, 2,5 kg being around 5,5 lbs. We have their next vaccine appointment in a couple of weeks, I'll keep insisting.

And regarding the other question, the suckling and the male getting erections, have any of you ever see something like this?

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My vet insists on kittens being 4 months old and stands very firm on it, even if ferals who are outside are in question.
I waited until 4 months to get Boone and Gracie done. Any younger seemed too early but I definitely didn't want to wait until my vet's recommended age of 6 months for fear of Gracie going into heat early.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's 2.5 lbs. not kg. 4 months seems about right, females can go into heat shortly after that. I have had several strays give birth at 6 months, and it was hard on them. Definitely get him neutered by 5 months or there will be interbred kittens.
I think his erections are really not sexual, or he would be trying to mate, grabbing her by the back of the neck. He is most likely starting to get the hormones, but this is more of he feels good, comfort, not sex. Young males of any species get erections for many reasons, not just sex. He is doing what feels good and is natural, just distract him if it bothers you or the little girl. I have had many older neutered males do the same thing .

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, sadly even the minimum weight is not the same as you mention, 2,5 kg being around 5,5 lbs. We have their next vaccine appointment in a couple of weeks, I'll keep insisting.

And regarding the other question, the suckling and the male getting erections, have any of you ever see something like this?
Before I got Boone neutered, every once in a while I'd see the tip of his penis sticking out. Never sexual in nature. Just laying around with it out a little. I haven't really noticed that since he got fixed (August) but I also don't really look that hard either. :lol: He is my suckler though but I don' think the two are related unless it happens because he is so relaxed.

MoriartyX

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, I was just concerned it meant he was almost mature enough, you know? I really want them to be neutered as soon as possible, but safe and without risks. So if these erections and him hopping on top of her can happen but they meant nothing if there's no biting on the neck, I'm relieved.

You know, I've had dogs all my life, but they always were females! So I really don't have experience with male domestic animals :p

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The hormones are starting to develop at their age though, females can come into heat as young as 5 months, so unless you can keep them strictly apart if she does, I would have them both neutered at 5 months if it was me. A female cat in heat is not a pleasant thing at all, the yowling alone drives you crazy!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I never actually answered your question either. I have had very small kittens from the same litter in my house for extended periods of time, male and female. I did not ever see the males with an erection, which does not mean that it did not happen. In one case, two brothers were with a sister for about 5 months in the same room as they were rescued as tiny little things, and no one got pregnant. I did fix them all on schedule. The only episode I ever had of an actual attempt at mating was with an adult male who had to be brought in off the streets and noticed that I had a young rescued female kitten who was not yet fixed. He definitely tried to mate, grabbed her scruff, went into action, no doubt about his intentions. I got her away and that was the first and last time.

MoriartyX

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks!

Yeah, I'll definitely try to have them neutered as soon as it's safe. He does bit her neck sometimes, but only when playing, never when they are both kneading and she is suckling. So it seems there's nothing to worry about for now.