Suckling Behavior

parisinthe30sx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi. My 3 year old male cat (only male with 6 females, the poor thing) has been trying to suckle on his sister. He used to do this when he was younger, about a year old. He wasn't taken from his mother early, I kept momma also, and she didn't wean them completely until they were about 16 weeks old. Is this normal behavior? He's the only one of my cats who have ever suckled as an adult, and it's not even on blankets, he only does it to his sisters. They will allow him to do it for a short period and then push him off. It's just odd, does anyone have any experience with an adult cat doing this?

Attachments

shannon1984

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh it's nothing to worry about. The girls will push him off when he goes too far. Every cat has a very unique personality so how far he will try to go with suckling will be as unique as how far each girl will tolerate him before giving him a shove. My oldest boy is 2 and he still suckles my neck every chance he gets. In his case I can get him to suckle a blanket but it took months of patient "blanket training" on my part (& weird looks from others). To this day he will sometimes "talk" to me until I pick him up so he can try to suckle my neck. He's done this many times out in the back yard with neighbors out watching me carry him home so I can get his blanket. It's not a super common behavior but it's totally normal.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

parisinthe30sx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for reassuring me! In all the cats I've rescued I've never had an adult cat do this. He certainly is a unique personality, he's always been a bit neurotic, but especially so since his brother passed away suddenly a few months ago (cardiomyopathy, he was only 3). I suppose it's just a calming thing for him. I'm just surprised his sisters tolerate it, especially his momma, he suckles on her the most. Thanks :)

shannon1984

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah Munchie was my first ever adult suckler too. I did a lot of research and it's definitely a soothing thing. It's soothing to some adult cats in the same way that "biscuits/kneading" is to many cats. As far as them tolerating it's just because they get along so well. Siblings and parents usually form very strong bonds and often are very relaxed with each other because they've shared so much. I've noticed my unrelated cats will eventually form a bond and while doing so they establish boundaries. What one will put up with from another they don't always put up with from a third. My suckler puts up with a lot of obnoxious affection from one of my other boys but will only put up with minimal snuggles from the third boy.

I have one boy who absolutely has to bite a blanket while he does his kneading. He never suckles but he has to grip the blanket with his teeth so I nicknamed him my little pillow biter :lol:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is so cute! I have never heard of an adult cat doing that before on another cat. My male cat does suck on a blanket and kneed up and down though. He does it every night. He's 3 years old too.

shannon1984

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That is so cute! I have never heard of an adult cat doing that before on another cat. My male cat does suck on a blanket and kneed up and down though. He does it every night. He's 3 years old too.
Mine has tried to suckle other females but the only female he's been around enough to try to suckle on let him know real quick she was not interested. Poor thing got smacked around a lot before he gave up.

parisinthe30sx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
His sisters nipples are almost non-existent so he really just ends up suckling on their fur. His momma has a little bit bigger ones so she's usually the one who bears the brunt of it. He does it in rotation almost, one minute they'll have dripping wet bellies, than she will :D
And he's about 17 lbs, momma is only 8lbs, it's pretty funny to watch them

shannon1984

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
His sisters nipples are almost non-existent so he really just ends up suckling on their fur. His momma has a little bit bigger ones so she's usually the one who bears the brunt of it. He does it in rotation almost, one minute they'll have dripping wet bellies, than she will :D
Lol he sounds as determined as my suckler. Once they get going they just don't give up easily. :lol:

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Stewart was neutered at 10 months old. Over the next year he was suckling on a teddy bear I gave him. Then he started suckling blankets. Then he started humping blankets. You were under the blanket? He'd straddle your leg. Over the next coming year he started spraying everything in the house. Then he was placed on Prozac. I don't catch him doing any of the previous three things anymore.

parisinthe30sx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
IMG_20140915_174818_270.jpg
he's so much bigger than she is so it's quite funny to watch him try to nurse on her. He has about 11 lbs on her

shannon1984

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Stewart was neutered at 10 months old. Over the next year he was suckling on a teddy bear I gave him. Then he started suckling blankets. Then he started humping blankets. You were under the blanket? He'd straddle your leg. Over the next coming year he started spraying everything in the house. Then he was placed on Prozac. I don't catch him doing any of the previous three things anymore.
Oh yes! We've discussed my suckler and my pillow biter and now we've ventured into the behavior of my humper. Thank god he stopped after he was fixed because for me this could have been a deal breaker. I didn't mind him humping the blankets but when he tried to hump me and would not quit without a full on struggle I was ready to throw in the towel. :mad2: