Such a good "momma"

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just wanted to share a really cute story of my kitties.
A little back story - Bynx had to go in for surgery and the same day at "pick up" for Bynx we brought Chester in for his one year booster. Our kitties have never had issues with non-nonrecognition before but this time, Chester was a little leery of Bynx. No aggression or anything...just cautious, but he was also a little upset because he too went to the vet.
Anyway, at one point Chester and Bynx were in a bit of a "stand off". Bynx was just sitting there and Chester snuck up on him to investigate this "stranger". So Bynx turned around and went to lean in and sniff Chester. But Chester then retreated and ever so slightly lifted his paw. Bynx was sort of oblivious to why Chester was afraid of him, but just sat down and stared at him. Chester then just stared back, they were about 2 feet away from each other.
So this is the cute part....
Lily, our little sweetheart, was watching very intently this entire interaction from the couch. She was our timid, depressed, zero confidence cat that we rescued at the same time as the other two. She was also a momma cat at the shelter, and a very good mom according to the shelter staff. She has since blossomed but her instincts to be a nurturing mom cat will never go away. We see it all the time.
So she's watching this go on, and just as the two got into that high tension stand off, she jumps down off the couch and runs over to them. She stopped and stood right between them first looking at Chester then Bynx. She then took a step towards Bynx, sniffed him, licked his face a few times then did a full body rub on him. Then she turned around and did the same thing to Chester. Both boys seemed to relax at that point. She then stayed between then for just a few seconds then walked away (back to the couch). Bynx and Chester did a quick sniff of each other then each went their separate ways.
It was almost like she was saying...."Oh for goodness sake you too!.....here...now you smell the same! Now get on with it, you morons!" LOL!

Jemima Lucca

Forever a feline fan💕
Super Cat
Purraise
What a precious interaction! Cats are amazing creatures. I love this “picture” of the empathy that cats display. Who says cats are aloof and self centered 😊

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope Bynx and Chester appreciate her.
I think they do. They are and have always been very sweet with her. She's a little feisty pants now that she's come out of her shell, but the boys are still more gentile with her than with each other, she's less than half their size.
I hope Bynx is doing well!
Thank you. He's recovering VERY well. He had a canine tooth extraction as well as nasal flush and biopsy of the nasal tissue. We are still awaiting results on the biopsy, but he's doing great as far as the extraction goes.
I love this “picture” of the empathy that cats display. Who says cats are aloof and self centered 😊
Exactly! Cats are so much more complex and emotional than most give credit for.
Lily is wonderful she knew what to do to get the boy's to behave.
And it's not the first time she's cared for them or even "put them in their place". She really is a mom.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you. He's recovering VERY well. He had a canine tooth extraction as well as nasal flush and biopsy of the nasal tissue. We are still awaiting results on the biopsy, but he's doing great as far as the extraction goes.
I'm very glad to hear that! Fingers crossed (again!) for that biopsy.