Successful introduction - now kittens won't leave adult cat alone

Grinchy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all,

I have two kittens (15 weeks old) and an adult cat (5 years old).

I've had the kittens since they were 8 weeks old and we took the introduction slowly. The process can be found on this thread:

Introducing new kittens to resident cat.

Last week, we allowed the kittens to roam in the evenings and put them in their room at night - which went well. We put bells on all three cats so they can hear each other.

This weekend, we allowed them to roam freely.

Previously, my adult cat, Buffy, would hiss and swat if they came to her food bowl or too close to her.

Now the kittens are roaming freely, they stalk her and try to play with her. She hates it.

She's started running at them and then runs off. The problem is, they run after her because they think it's a game.

We play with all the cats, but the kittens always have the energy to hassle Buffy.

Last night, we put them back into their room before we slept, and Buffy was more chilled.

Not sure how to manage their exuberance around Buffy.

tnrmakessense

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'd keep them separate from Buffy most of the time - maybe keep a baby gate between them for a while, so that Buffy can interact with them on her own terms. Most adult cats are pretty tolerant even if they're annoyed, but I don't think there's anything to be gained by forcing an introduction. Adorable as they are, kittens can be exhausting even for their mother, much less a new roommate.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I think at this point you should let them work it out. If they really annoy her she is going to give them a wack or a nip that lets them know she isn’t tolerating their behavior and it’s best that they have some respect for her before they become adults. But the chasing them could also be just a bit of play.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm kinda with susanm9006 susanm9006 on this, but do keep an eye on things and continue to separate them when you can't (at night, for instance). A swat or cuff or two is perfectly normal and acceptable from an older cat to an annoying kitten. It's just teaching them manners. Trust me, Mama Cat did the same thing. They respect it.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Even if the big cat is stressed by the kittens, and that definitely does happen sometimes, there isn't much of a cure except time. If the stress is bad, adding extra scratching posts or other high spots the older cat can feel secure. An extra litter box if going to the box "safely" is a problem for the older cat. A little break now and then for closed door petting is good, but long separations just make the kittens even more eager (an "its christmas morning" type effect) and the older cat never gets to see chill/sleepy kittens. But mostly giving them time to get used to each other.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Grinchy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Even if the big cat is stressed by the kittens, and that definitely does happen sometimes, there isn't much of a cure except time. If the stress is bad, adding extra scratching posts or other high spots the older cat can feel secure. An extra litter box if going to the box "safely" is a problem for the older cat. A little break now and then for closed door petting is good, but long separations just make the kittens even more eager (an "its christmas morning" type effect) and the older cat never gets to see chill/sleepy kittens. But mostly giving them time to get used to each other.
Yes you're right. The kittens were crazy this morning and were far more manic than if I had left them out.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes you're right. The kittens were crazy this morning and were far more manic than if I had left them out.
I look at it this way. If your spouse nags you at least once in a while about something, its a bit annoying. But if you evade your spouse every time they try and pester you, then when you finally interact with them, you are immediately going to get pestered every single time. What is going to happen? Your getting a divorce is what, no one can stand getting nagged every single time they see someone. The big cat *needs* to see chill/sleepy kittens sometimes for progress, so I think its counterproductive to separate at night. Separating at night is only for if there is a risk of actual fighting.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Grinchy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A very good analogy. And u housemate has just reported that were extra pesty today and got a couple of swipes.