Success!!!! I’ve trapped the stray. Except s/he’s terrified.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
We are happy to read what you post! Flea spray at the door would be fine as long as she can't ingest it. As for the gabapentin, at least out here, there is no way that a vet will give any prescription to a cat that they have not seen, sedatives aside.

This guarantees nothing, but of all the ferals I have swiped off the street, often in emergencies, no one ever tested positive for FeLV.

I know that this feels like forever, but you have only had her for a few days. She may not be entirely happy inside, but she is starting to realize that it is a lot better being cared for than not.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

reba

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
fionasmom fionasmom I appreciate the comment about the FELV, though I know there’s no guarantee.

My father has been stopping over to play with her. She seems to prefer men or at least isn’t afraid of them.

In the morning I can now put the food dish on my leg while sitting on the floor and she will eat out of it. Can also brush my hand a against her sides when she goes to rub against me. I wouldn’t call it petting by any stretch, but it’s progress of a sort.

reba

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
OMG she let me pick her up for a few seconds!!! I was able to actually pet her quite a bit before I gave her her breakfast. Then I petted her some once I put the food bowl down. Though I still feel she is somewhat tense while I am stroking her while she is eating. Then about an hour later I went in an left the door cracked open. My cat that she is becoming friends with stuck his head in the doorway and I was sitting on the floor in front of the door. She came in front of me to try and tocuch noses with him and I just reached and picked her up and held her off the floor for a few seconds, then gently put her down. She didn’t run squirm or run when I put her down. She still is skittish though - but I was so surprised! It’s like they’re a house cat for a few seconds.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
This is exactly the story of my Graycie who was rescued from a dangerous situation as a supposedly already TNRed feral. We are now all the way up to her demanding brushings several times a day. She would let me pick her up off the ground for a few inches for a few seconds at first and it escalated from there.

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OMG she let me pick her up for a few seconds!!! I was able to actually pet her quite a bit before I gave her her breakfast. Then I petted her some once I put the food bowl down. Though I still feel she is somewhat tense while I am stroking her while she is eating.
That is great!

I'm a cat amateur but read a lot about them, and I'm sure you know this already, but petting while eating seems to be one of the best times to acclimate them to touching.

reba

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
This is exactly the story of my Graycie who was rescued from a dangerous situation as a supposedly already TNRed feral. We are now all the way up to her demanding brushings several times a day. She would let me pick her up off the ground for a few inches for a few seconds at first and it escalated from there.
Well my goal is to get her in the cat carrier. The dilemma is when to pick the right moment. At least she has some room in the kitchen and a nice window to look out of. She‘s usually camped out in her cat bed the he playpen at this point, whereas at first she would just look out the window longingly. Overall though, I am pleased, I thought I was looking at months to get to this point.

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well my goal is to get her in the cat carrier. The dilemma is when to pick the right moment. At least she has some room in the kitchen and a nice window to look out of. She‘s usually camped out in her cat bed the he playpen at this point, whereas at first she would just look out the window longingly. Overall though, I am pleased, I thought I was looking at months to get to this point.
I already suggested this earlier, but consider a cardboard box on the first vet trip. Being more open (the larger the better) may be less traumatic, especially with some bedding inside.

In fact, you could put a cardboard box with bedding in the room now, and see if she might start going in it. Or if she allows you to pick her up, you might be able to try placing her in the open box and then letting her decide whether to stay in it or jump out. She might start going in it herself.

It worked for my cat for the first vet trip, and then after that, I switched to a carrier.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I don't think it is going to be months. Where is the cat carrier right now? You might put it in her room, even with the door removed at first or the flap left hanging, so that she gets used to it. You could put treats in it so that she understands that it is okay to be inside.

If you use a cardboard box for transportation, it has to be escape proof. You won't get her back if she escapes in a strange parking lot.

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you use a cardboard box for transportation, it has to be escape proof. You won't get her back if she escapes in a strange parking lot.
This is a good point. I actually put tape over it during transportation.

This was all 8+ years ago. I only did it for the first visit because Willy fought really hard going into a carrier. And at the time he had serious health problems so getting him to the vet was a priority.

I only suggest the box in the event you have such problems. It's a better idea to try acclimating to a carrier first, as was suggested above. Like putting the carrier in the room and putting treats inside.

reba

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I’m pretty good at the scruff and drop bottom first into the up-ended carrier move. I hate to drop her off at the vet all day, but the am is my best chance of getting her in the carrier (meaning if I have an appointment for her then I may have to try it later in the day.) Let’s see how much progress she makes over the next week. As everyone has warned it’s two steps forward and one step back. Like she lets me pet her and then goes and hides behind the playpen.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have dropped many pets, dogs and cat, off in the AM as needed. You have to work within the parameters of your situation. Most of my cats are more "catchable" in the morning regardless of how long they have been here.

reba

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Most of my cats are more "catchable" in the morning regardless of how long they have been here.
[/QUOTE]
Understood. I will write and ask the vet if I can just drop her off when I catch her. I don’t know about where you folks live, but the vets are always booked solid here. You can’t even get into the e-clinics a lot of the time (and we have two!)

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Same here. The ER has become the backup and I have taken two cats there over the last 6 months for problems that would have been handled at the regular vet's office with an appointment available within a couple of days or even allowed as an emergency walk in the same day. I know a few people who book an appointment "just in case" every two to four weeks and if no one is sick they either cancel or bring the cat in for something routine. I don't do that, but it shows how extreme things are.

reba

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I know! Same here. There’s no shortage of people who want to be vets and in fact a lot of them are going down to Ross Vet College and walking out $400K in debt. It breaks my heart how much suffering goes on because people can’t afford to take their cats for veterinary care. In fact I was just looking at my year end summary on my credit card and realized my bill was around $3K for vet bills. Luckily about 2/3rds of that was reimbursed by pet insurance. And then a case of purina pro plan went from around $30 to $46.

Anyway, not much to report as far as progress. I put the cat carrier in the room and she got more guarded. I tried to pick her up during our petting session and she lasted about ten seconds before she screamed bloody murder. At least she doesn’t try to bite me. She’s still very skittish, but will put up with a lot of petting while eating. Also got a more enthusiastic play session than previously. Meaning she was willing to chase the toy a bit instead of just bat at it from a safe distance.

When I find myself getting exasperated I just leave the room rather than push her. She does look all queenly now stretched out in her cat bad in the playpen and she will flip over and show me her belly provided I’m on the other side of the door.

Still trying to decide what color she is. She looks like a grey tabby on top, but then her bottom half and her front legs are all white. She also has a cream colored patch on one side.

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Still trying to decide what color she is. She looks like a grey tabby on top, but then her bottom half and her front legs are all white. She also has a cream colored patch on one side.
Pictures please? 🙂

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Showing you her belly is a big deal. Even if you are not able to pick her up for any length of time, she is willing to relax enough around you to do that. Letting her relax is a good idea and will allow her to take things at her own pace. My pet cats are all terrified of a carrier, but I now leave one out permanently and over time it became part of the furniture for them. That is really up to you at this point as to whether or not it makes her more upset or helps her to accustom herself to it.

My cat vet has the practice owner, who is elderly, out on medical. There is one other long time vet who took a brief vacation which left the place in the hands of one new hire full time vet. The other young vet only works part time for some reason. As a result, they now close two days a week, as if getting an appointment was not hard enough.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Pictures please? 🙂
If you can get a pic we would love to see her. :camera: If it would scare or upset her I totally understand.

I now leave one out permanently and over time it became part of the furniture for them.
I can strongly relate to this sentence since we have a giant dog crate as well as at least one cat carrier out at all times. Our dog would end up sitting outside the crate because the cats loved to take naps in it. :biggrin: And, just as you said, it became part of the furniture.

reba

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My cat vet has the practice owner, who is elderly, out on medical. There is one other long time vet who took a brief vacation which left the place in the hands of one new hire full time vet. The other young vet only works part time for some reason. As a result, they now close two days a week, as if getting an appointment was not hard enough.
[/QUOTE]

The only wanting to work a few days a week is another thing. And it’s getting so the practices aren’t open on weekends and the e-clinic can’t handle the overflow. Luckily mine is still open on Saturdays. One of the vets at my practice just decided to leave the field - I don’t know why, but I hope she reconsiders. Then another just started doing at-home euthanasia. Both are excellent vets under 40 and they are no longer practicing.

Well Daisy the cat is having the two steps backwards kind of day. Or at least it feels that way to me. Meaning she‘s more skittish. Maybe it’s just that I brought two carriers into the kitchen and left them there. She is going in them and eating the food I leave there.

I keep moving her luxury bed in the playpen closer to the door and the little devil manages to push it as close to the back wall as posssible. I never reach into the playpen, just talk to her through the door.

My Dad came over to play with her and he had no problem petting her (well, once he followed the rules and sat down on the floor and offered the obligatory food bribe). She really does seem to like men.