Success!!!! I’ve trapped the stray. Except s/he’s terrified.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Not at all. It is just one more medication but that does not mean that the cat should not recover from all of this and be fine. How are things today?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

reba

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She’s doing great. I want to monitor her for one more day in isolation. As I mentioned, she was all over my boy cat that I took in from the yard last year. More seemed friend-like attention than romantic interest though. She rubbed her body alongside his several times when I let him in the room. She didn’t raise her butt or anything. He didn’t seemed to mind at first but eventually hissed at her.

He also did the weirdest thing. He got into her cat litter and tried to roll around in it. Like laid down on his side in the pan. Any ideas what that was about?

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She’s doing great. I want to monitor her for one more day in isolation. As I mentioned, she was all over my boy cat that I took in from the yard last year. More seemed friend-like attention than romantic interest though. She rubbed her body alongside his several times when I let him in the room. She didn’t raise her butt or anything. He didn’t seemed to mind at first but eventually hissed at her.

He also did the weirdest thing. He got into her cat litter and tried to roll around in it. Like laid down on his side in the pan. Any ideas what that was about?
When they roll in litter it's usually to get their scent in the litter box. Cats like to be able to smell themselves so they feel at ease. He may choose to use the litter box at some point and will now smell himself.

reba

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I’m a little worried right now, she hasn’t been eating much today and hasn’t used her litter box at all. :(

She got her shots on Monday morning, so I was hoping it’d be smooth sailing starting today.

I’m glad I kept her in the bathroom today. With three others I wouldn’t have known if she was going to the bathroom or not.

reba

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Is this wierd. I made her a bed out of a few small fleece blankets. She took the one on top and used it to cover up her food bowl.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Is this wierd. I made her a bed out of a few small fleece blankets. She took the one on top and used it to cover up her food bowl.
That might be like “cacheing,” which is something mountain lions do. I’d bet ferals do as well to some degree.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
It can be an instinct left over from the big feline ancestors to cover food for later, as was mentioned. It can also be dislike of the food or refusal to eat, so watch if she does eat.

My very dominant flame point boy does that with litter. It lets him think that he is master and commander of the house.

reba

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
LOL Master and Commander. :)

I called the vet this afternoon because she still hasn’t pooped. I’ve gotten her to eat a little, about 1/3 of what she normally does. She hasn’t thrown up anything so they said she is probably just under the weather from the vaccines and worm medicine.

reba

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That definitely could be it. Did the vet reply? Any special food that she might like?

Any Good Tips To Get Your Cats To Eat? Share Them Here!
I’ve tried sprinkling ground up treats and fortiflora on it. She’ll only eat about 1/3 of normal. I had to put her back in the playpen last night, because the other cats would eat her left overs. She wasn’t real happy about that, but the other 3 cats can see into it and plus it’s next to my bed so she’s sleeping with everybody in the same room.

Big news though is I was able to pick her up and hold her for several minutes. She fussed a little but then burrowed into my arms. Then I carried her out and sat on the couch. She only stayed a few minutes, but she walked out of my arms as opposed to bolting.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
That is huge progress! She is definitely coming around with all your work.

I know you just posted a few hours ago, but is the appetite any better?

reba

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Her appetite isn’t much better, but she is eating. She won‘t get up to eat, I have to hold the dish in the cat bed. She did come out though and walk around the second floor, so I know she can move.

My latest worry: When I picked her up she was literally trembling (shivering) every 5 seconds even though she didn’t try and get away. Kind of like inhale, tremble, inhale, tremble. I figured this was just a reaction to being picked up for the first time, but an hour later my Mom came over to visit her and when I was showing her how to pet her I noticed she was doing the shivering thing again.

I’ve petted her quite a lot by now and I’ve never felt her shiver like that. Her ears don’t feel hot and her nose is wet and cool.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
This is a little unusual, although I am not sure of what. Shivering or trembling can run the range of conditions. If she is not eating any better and still trembling, I would let the vet know tomorrow.

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Her appetite isn’t much better, but she is eating. She won‘t get up to eat, I have to hold the dish in the cat bed.
That's good that she's eating. I'd keep doing what you are doing. She's likely still recovering from meds. I wouldn't worry too much unless she was totally not eating.

My latest worry: When I picked her up she was literally trembling (shivering) every 5 seconds even though she didn’t try and get away. Kind of like inhale, tremble, inhale, tremble.
Might be an overstimulation thing combined with not feeling totally well as she recovers. I'd give her space for a while and not try picking her up for a little while. My cat always loved physical contact but he's trembled when not feeling well.

Edit: what I mean is, I wouldn't worry about it if it goes away. If it continues, then I'd be more concerned.

reba

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
There was no more shivering later in the day. Perhaps she was just afraid of my Mom - though my Mom is not intimidating in the least. I’ve never seen her shiver after my Dad pets her, but he’s been over here quite a bit to try and help socialize her. I know she feels better because she’s back to being more skittish.

reba

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She finally ate her usual amount for dinner. Also came out for our group playtime this morning. She won’t come and eat with the other cats though, I still have to bring the food to her. When she was outside she would come when I called her, meowing all the way.

I do think she’s still depressed over the loss of her freedom. Hoping that changes eventually. She also used to talk to me a lot. I’d open the window and we’d have a conversation with her sitting on the deck. But she’s very quiet now that she’s inside and just uses her meow to tell me she’s scared.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have had this happen with cats who are brought inside. Some seem to miss their former life, but no one has ever not moved forward into being an indoor only cat.

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do think she’s still depressed over the loss of her freedom. Hoping that changes eventually.
I'm sure it will be fine. It really does sound like you've made a lot of progress with her already.

I also wonder how much of the "cat misses the outdoors" is projection on our part. I personally wonder if what we are observing in situations like this is just cats being stressed by change.

We all know that cats have issues with change, and they take some time getting used to it. As intelligent animals, I'm sure there are aspects to the indoors that they instantly appreciate. Guaranteed meals and shelter being the main ones. But being brought inside is an enormous life change that is going to be stressful as they adjust and get used to their new life.

If there is any real desire for "freedom" I would think is motivated by the remnants of fear. She isn't totally used to indoor life yet, and is still not 100% trusting, so if given the chance she might still choose to bolt outside, giving into fear and resisting change.

Who knows what goes on in the feline brain, but that's my airmchair-feline-psychologist's theory.

reba

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have had this happen with cats who are brought inside. Some seem to miss their former life, but no one has ever not moved forward into being an indoor only cat.
Well that’s reassuring. So far the only thing she really seems to be enjoying is having cat company.