Substitute For Celery In A Recipe

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What can I use as a substitute for celery? The recipie I want to make again calls for 2 stalks but one can't buy just two stalks at the supermarket. I have no other use for a bunch of celery. I don't like raw celery at all :cringe: Nope, never had the "ants on a log" snack as a kid or anything like that. The recipie calls for 2 carrots and an onion (will sub in a shallot for that). The recipie cooks for about 40 minutes with rice and chicken in broth so a celery subsitute has to be sturdy. I was thinking of potato?:think:

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
Ewe no potato. No. Potato does not add flavor to broth. Just leave it out. You could add some other flavors like a garlic clove, lemon, and if you are making chicken broth, you could even add a splash of vinegar- a tiny bit.

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If the recipe doesn’t already call for garlic maybe use that :)

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I really do not know if there is a substitute for celery. Cooked celery takes on a different taste, texture than that of raw celery. I am not a fan of raw celery, except a bit in a salad, but cooked celery seems to have a different flavor ...

Perhaps you can find some dried celery flakes, reconstitute them with some water and then add it to the recipe?? to your taste....

Or just leave it out, and see how it comes out...

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
could you just leave out the celery? or add a little more carrot and onion?
That's what I'd do, too. More carrot, a bit more onion. Or garlic, if you like it. I don't keep a lot of celery on hand either and, if a recipe for soup or such calls for celery and I don't have it, I don't worry about it. Leaving it out of the recipe isn't going to destroy anything. You'll be fine. If you do have some dried celery flakes, feel free to add them to your dish; just toss the flakes into the mix...they'll be OK in the broth.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I left out the celery and just used carrots and garlic and dried celery flakes that I had on hand (no idea what I used it for before). The dish didn't come out any differently.

debbila

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The celery flakes is a good idea for the flavor. I have used it in tuna salad when I didn't have any of the fresh celery. No crunch of course but it tasted really good!

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I like the taste of cooked celery. Chicken soup made with carrots and celery, along with rice or noodles and an onion. Wow. Thinking about it makes me want some too.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, just keep celery flakes or celery salt on hand. You could freeze celery, it would be soft like frozen green peppers,but gets that way when cooked anyway. Some things just HAVE to have celery to taste right, chicken broth and potato soup are two. (to me, anyway)

Candybee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Another sub for celery is celery seed. Just sprinkle some celery seed or even celery salt in the broth for the flavor without the celery.

Other subs could be turnips, parsnips, mushrooms, broccoli, spinich, peas, etc. Just sub in another veggie you like.