Sub-Q fluids in early CKD with fluid in chest cavity

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Feeby seems to be in early CKD (creatinine 2.8, BUN 44) along with her hyperthyroidism currently being treated with Felimazole (T4 - 2.8). However, her x-rays now show an enlarged heart/fluid in the chest cavity/possible asthma. I am getting second opinions about all of her conditions.

However, the interim vet I have suggested sub-Q fluids (which both H-T and CKD forums said were premature), and when I asked if that was contra-indicated with the fluid in her chest, the vet said 'No'. I am not going to give her sub-Q fluids at this time, but no one has offered any information about how this would or would not impact the chest cavity fluids. Can't find much specifics on this particular issue. Any input?

StanAndAlf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I can't offer much, but I know when we get patients that have a build up of fluid in or around the heart, we try to stay away from giving them intravenous or sub Q fluids. I'm unsure how that factors in with CKD patients though...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I can't offer much, but I know when we get patients that have a build up of fluid in or around the heart, we try to stay away from giving them intravenous or sub Q fluids. I'm unsure how that factors in with CKD patients though...
Thanks! I pretty much felt that giving sub-Q fluids to a cat with fluid in or around their heart didn't seem like a good idea. Vet didn't explain why it would be OK, and the ckd forum didn't think Feeby was at the stage for fluids anyway.