Sub-Q fluid question

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

all4mom2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We won't be doing this long term. My kitty is dying of presumed brain cancer. It was just an attempt to get him to perk up enough to start eating well again and, if not that, at least make him more comfortable (he can eat, but doesn't swallow well when he drinks) in his final days. When we get to the end of this bag of fluids, I'll have to make a tough decision.

So I won't be buying any needles. Thank you for all your help, though!

all4mom2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, it seems he's not quite ready to give up the ghost yet, so if I decide to go with yet another bag of fluids, where can I buy them -- and the needles -- cheaper than through my vet's?

all4mom2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I assume it requires a prescription from your vet; there isn't, like, a farm store (Tractor Supply) where you can buy it?

sidneykitty

Foster mama
Alpha Cat
Purraise
View attachment 407252

(ignore the vein in the image above since you're doing sub q)
Wow! I'm a newbie to SQ fluids and my tech did an excellent demo but no one ever told me this. Thank you! Hope this helps me next time I try.

Fwiw, OP, I using the green 18g needles. They're not too big, not too small. I think you can get them from a pharmacy though I am not sure where to get SQ fluids without a Rx. It probably varies by your location...I hope you are able to find some, though, and I'm glad to hear your cat is perking up a bit. Sending you good vibes!

all4mom2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My vet never mentioned the "bevel up vs. bevel down" thing, either, but it does seem to help, so thank you! I did switch to 20 gauge needles. It takes about five minutes for the infusion, but my boy is a good, calm kitty, so it's no problem to take a few extra minutes versus hurting him with the big scary harpoon! I also got a second bag of fluids from my vet, but now we're running into other problems. See "Pet Hospice Complication" post if interested in following our saga.