Stupid friggin people

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My crew were remarkably calm, last night. Some kids, over on the next street, were shooting off firecrackers (illegal here). Ike and Pearl barked once and went back to chasing each other around the yard.

There were big fireworks at the ballpark (1/2 mile away) and Ike went out with me. While I was in the front yard, Ike lolled in a patio chair, in the back.

katspixiedust

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love the 4th of July so much. It's actually one of my favorite holidays.
The sound of smaller firecrackers doesn't bother me and Waffle isn't bothered by them either so that's not a big deal around my place. I'm heading home to my parents so I can enjoy a wonderful (very traditional) 4th of July meal with my family, then head out to Ormond Beach's spectacular display tonight with Brendan and our friends from home, whom we rarely get to see. They shoot them off over the Halifax River and it's just gorgeous. I really can't wait!!

Sorry for anyone's animals that have such a hard time though.

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm with ya there, hissy. I think fireworks should be confined to professionally-run fireworks displays. In my state the law prohibits "exploding" fireworks without a license. But it's not enforced. Fireworks vendors hand out "licenses" to anyone who wants to buy fireworks. People make fireworks "runs" to nearby states that sell the big stuff without a license. It's like a war zone around here. And it often starts in June.

violetlene

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I too like the official fireworks,but I hate the home fireworks that are noisy.The neighbors were setting off some that sounded like a machine gun last night.Idiots + fireworks= trouble

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Someone shot off a roman candle late last night over our barn! My horses freaked out and we ran to get the water hose, because it landed dangerously close to a hay bale- sigh....Go in the grocery store now and you can buy them there. So much for a countywide burn ban-

sashacat421

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
5 summers ago, when I lived in the city, somebody shot off a roman candle too low, and as it fell, some sparks landed on SiSi!!! I had been trying to get her in the house, and her coat was very dense, so she didn't even notice as I lunged for her. It was awful!

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by hissy

Someone shot off a roman candle late last night over our barn! My horses freaked out and we ran to get the water hose, because it landed dangerously close to a hay bale- sigh....Go in the grocery store now and you can buy them there. So much for a countywide burn ban-
Maybe you should call the cops on that one. I'm not big on involving the police for neighborhood disagreements, but they are endangering you and your animals!

Luckily, the ones shot off here are far enough away that the animals aren't upset. But the kids thought someone was out hunting last night! I had to explain to them that it was ok, just fireworks!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
They shot it over our back hill- there is no way I even know who did it. Just some kids I suspect, there is a big open field beyond the woods back there and that is where the stuff was launched from. I took Vader for a walk this morning and checked out the field.

mybabies

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by hissy

Shooting off fireworks a day early scaring the crud out of the horses, the cats and the dog.
It's bad enough to have to endure in on the 4th but doing it tonight- my cats are in an uproar and my horses in a sweat from running the pasture. I fail to understand why if there is a county wide burn ban till the end of Septemeber that they even allow fireworks in the first place?

ok rant over, hate this holiday-
I was born and raised in SF and then Marin county and fireworks were BANNED. Then as an adult I had neighbors doing them right outside my home. I put my cats together n a back bedroom and turned on a radio LOUD. My dog did not mind them and I loved them. Since I was an adult and not a young one I would take him around the neighbor hood as if on a walk and we would watch them. SOME of the loud ones bothered his ears but mainly he would just get board and want to move on.

Here, so far, my cats (and the beautiful BLACK Siamese/Oriental shorthair who followed me home on Saturday - wish I could keep him) could not care less. Guess I will know more by tonight!

I DO know how you feel though as when I lived in Marin the next door neighbors would set them off next to my paddock. The horses could not see what was going on but only hear the loud noises, and they too would run into a lather.

What I did with them was put all 3 in the barn (small 4 h barn) together with hay and a bit of grain apples etc. and close the front of it up and for a bit the back too. THen after they calmed a bit I would open the back windows so they could get air but not hear the sounds too good.

I DO feel sorry for the horses but this is a time for celebration and for people to relax and get away from daily stresses (
sigh - wish I could too but it is just no fun without my boy! He DID leave me with wonderful memories of people who were shooting off these fireworks thought he was just something else not to be bothered by them. Kind of makes the 4th a fun/sad day for me!

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm from Canada but we just had our long weekend pass as well and the kids across the street had a bit too much to drink and blast off some fireworks at 2am.
I think a ban on where and when they can be set off would really help.

dinahcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I too am aggravated by this!!! People have been fireing off M80's all weekend. Late at night, when I need to be sleeping for work the next day. Needless to say, I'm tired, and my body aches because of the poor sleep I have been getting due to these freaks lighting em off all fricken weekend!!!!

okeefecl

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Luckily, I live between a shopping district and the police station on the edge of a settled residential area. Most of the fireworks I've been hearing are from local community celebrations and are far enough away the AC mutes most of the sound. Ivo hasn't responded at all although I've been startled once or twice.

sooz123

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Guilty

We had our neighborhood block party last night instead of today due to people having to work Monday. We were only shooting them off until about 10pm, though. One of the neighbors went to Georgia and bought illegal fireworks (in FL anything that launches or explodes is illegal, which leaves basically only the ones that shoot sparks from the ground). Someone called and complained, a cop that lives in the neighborhood came around to tell us but overlooked it saying "things look alright here"... the launching tube was in plain sight of his car!

Someone just let off a huge mortar down the street... sounded like a bomb! I hope they don't set our house on fire!!!

The kits aren't really affected, but Mika did spend about a half hour jerking around to look at the window every time one went off at first. We have several boxes of sparklers left we'll go out a finish off in a minute.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Fireworks & gun shots are illegal in my area. I live near the Mexican border. People smuggle a lot of fireworks into the US. It becomes like a war zone here on New Years Eve & the 4th of July. I stay home with Dexter & Sadie. I keep them near the floor because gunshots have been know to go through windows. I hate it.
Stupid people.

save_adopt

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ok I love fireworks but I always feel so sorry for the animals. Sorry to hear the animals have been disturbed at your place MA.

we have had people shooting them off around here since mid-late june and will prolly be going till early august