Stunted Growth?

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
8CF56889-3A1E-4643-98DC-4F6FCB98831C.jpeg
DB191E3A-C84C-4FC1-99D7-758D048725FB.jpeg
DFA769F8-B214-4DEA-A8F0-74E43923192B.jpeg
Awhile ago I found a small tortuous shell kitten. She was all by herself but seemed well fed. I posted some ads about her to see if she was a lost kitten. In the time of waiting I got the kitten dna tested and got her shots done. An old lady answered and said it was her kitten and I asked for key descriptions (to be sure) and sure enough it was hers. Well two months go past and I go to my local animal shelter looking to adopt a kitten and what do I see? The kitten I gave back to the old lady. Her colors have changed around a bit but some key features show that it’s her. (Even got her dna tested again) I instantly adopted her and took the kitten home. I noticed she stunk really bad and decided to take her to a vet when her bath didn’t stop the smell. Well I found out she had gangrene in her back left foot, so they amputated it. Well now, close to two years later, she is still the size of a 6 month old kit. Now, I don’t know if it’s just me since I have a huge bobcat and house cat mix but she seems very small to be almost 2 years old. Let me know what you think and do you think she will have any problems because of her small size? I love Tate very much and would be sad if something happened to her.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
It could be her growth was stunted by poor nutritional and her rough life as a kitten but it could also be that she was genetically always going be small. My smallest was a tabby Siamese mix who topped out at six pounds, also about the size of a six month old kitten. Coincidentally she looked very very much like your girl. She was so small and scrawny she always looked unhealthy and underfed but lived to the ripe old age 19. I always suspected she stopped her own growth since from kittenhood until her death she spent every moment she could curled up on my shoulder with her head tucked under my chin which is pretty impossible if you weight 12 pounds. Enjoy your petite girl, she is lovely

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It could be her growth was stunted by poor nutritional and her rough life as a kitten but it could also be that she was genetically always going be small. My smallest was a tabby Siamese mix who topped out at six pounds, also about the size of a six month old kitten. Coincidentally she looked very very much like your girl. She was so small and scrawny she always looked unhealthy and underfed but lived to the ripe old age 19. I always suspected she stopped her own growth since from kittenhood until her death she spent every moment she could curled up on my shoulder with her head tucked under my chin which is pretty impossible if you weight 12 pounds. Enjoy your petite girl, she is lovely
Oh wow. So there is nothing to worry about? And thank you!

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn’t worry. At some point when my Murphy was young I asked the vet that same question about her and his response was “the little ones live longer”. Probably a generalization, good care also makes a difference, but just like with people overweight cats are susceptible to a number of illnesses.

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I wouldn’t worry. At some point when my Murphy was young I asked the vet that same question about her and his response was “the little ones live longer”. Probably a generalization, good care also makes a difference, but just like with people overweight cats are susceptible to a number of illnesses.
Okay phew, thanks so much!!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have 2 little girls who are 7 pounds. They aren't stunted, they're just little. Some cats are smaller than others, just like humans.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
And just maybe there is some Singapura in her family tree, they are very small as well. I do think that it is most likely due to a rough start, but since she has made it this far, I think you can just relax and enjoy your pocket kitty!

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
And just maybe there is some Singapura in her family tree, they are very small as well. I do think that it is most likely due to a rough start, but since she has made it this far, I think you can just relax and enjoy your pocket kitty!
Awesome! And she is definitely a pocket kitty, she’s always on my back or in my sweater when I take her places. Thanks for the feedback!

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have 2 little girls who are 7 pounds. They aren't stunted, they're just little. Some cats are smaller than others, just like humans.
Oh okay! Thanks for the feedback (:

Blakeney Green

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Toad's growth is stunted due to severe illness when she was an infant (the same reason she is blind.) She's younger than your cat, too young to know what the long term effects will be, if any - she'll be six months old in a few days. So far she seems to be fine. She's active and alert, and she is growing, especially since coming home... she's just behind most other cats her age. We're in kind of a wait and see mode for what the future will bring.