Stuffing, Filling, or Dressing?

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
What do you call it in your house?

We call it stuffing, whether or not it's in the bird. I haven't stuffed a bird in quite a while because everybody seems to like my crock pot stuffing and because I always brine my turkeys. It's still stuffing!

What's it called in your neck of the woods?

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We call it stuffing but never actually put it in the bird. It's the star of the leftover sandwich in my world. The sandwich is better than the big meal. Good bread, turkey, stuffing, cranberry and mayo. :thumbsup:

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I've always called it "stuffing" unless I'm talking to a German in English. Then I say "filling", because it's closer to the German "Füllung".

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Stuffing. We've never had stuffing in the turkey. It was always baked separately.

Here's Martha Stewart's explanation of the differences between stuffing and dressing (and recipes of course): Sensational Stuffing and Dressing Recipes for Thanksgiving

"Dressing" is what people in the southern parts of the US call the mixture, whether in the bird or not. In most other parts of the US, it's "stuffing" even if it's not in the bird.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I grew up in Kansas and it was called stuffing, every place I have lived since it is dressing. I grew up with it cooked in the turkey. The first 10 years or so that I did the turkey for Thanksgiving I cooked it in the turkey. With food safety warnings I look at the why and if it makes since to me I will switch it up. The dressing being cooked outside of the bird made sense to me so I switched.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think we've always called it stuffing.I can remember that my grandmother stuffed her turkeys with her traditional mixture and called it stuffing,but the other flavors that were baked were called dressing.Mom never stuffed a bird and neither have I.

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Stuffing I don't cook it in the turkey I make stuffing balls then people can choose if they want it.

Willow's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
inside of your imagination and/or smartphone app
Stuffing, and I bake it in loaf pans: one loaf of chestnut and the other of cranberry.

Only I'm not me any more, lol. Peeling the chestnuts was the hardest part of making Thanksgiving/Giftmas dinner and I was really getting too old anyway. I got some locally grown chestnuts this year, more to help the farmer and out of habit than anything else.

Last year was cold, mashed sweet potatoes eaten out of a mason jar in the middle of a rainstorm on the top of a mountain and it was one of the best Thanksgivings in my life.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You can buy cooked, peeled chestnuts at grocery stores an online now. They come in a bag. No more roasting and :gaah: With peeling hot chestnuts with stubborn husks.

Last edited:

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I actually have never had chestnuts. I know they are a big traditional thing but I have never had them.