Stuff from here

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Amber is at the vet. They're doing more bloodwork and, this time, they're checking her thyroid. Why in the name of all that's holy they didn't do that in the beginning is beyond me. I wasn't with Rick for the original appt because of my upcoming knee surgery and the risk of Covid. But I asked him if they checked her thyroid and Rick said they did blood work. And everything was normal. I took that to mean that her thyroid was OK. Stupid me. And when I found out that they hadn't checked her thyroid yet, I was not amused. Anyway, she's down there for the night....more subQ fluids and they're going to see if she'll eat. By tomorrow, the thyroid results should be in and we'll know what's going on there. If there's a chance that it is her thyroid and we can get it under control, we're going to give her that chance. If not, and if she doesn't eat at the hospital, we'll go down to say goodbye. Honestly, we don't know what else to do.

artiemom artiemom You're right. Amber is Rick's feline soul mate. And he's having such a hard time with this. He completely adores her and, well, I watched the two of them this afternoon at the vet, while we were waiting for paperwork. She completely adores him, too. The love that shows in that girl's eyes for him almost brought me to tears. I don't know what he's going to do if he has to let her go. He says he's pretty much come to terms with it bc she really hasn't been around that much anyway the last week or so. Maybe he has. But I worry. The older we get, the worse it gets when we lose a baby. And especially this one for him.

As for me, I had my appt with the ortho weenie and it was my last appt. They released me with caution not to do anything stupid. (And that's exactly what my doctor said! Who, me? He knows me well.) I also had my last PT session. My therapist said I'm doing great and to continue doing my exercises at home for the next several weeks to keep my knee loosened up. She'll keep my file open, just in case I need something, but she's pleased. I started walking 1/2 mile today, too, and will continue that for this week, before going up to 3/4 mile next week. And, as I walk longer distances, I can cut back a bit on the exercises.

So that's the stuff from here. I really didn't know where all to put this, so I just did a post for the Lounge. Hope that's OK.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so sorry to hear about Amber and hope she has some more fight left in her especially for Rick's sake. :hugs: If her thyroid has been affected I'd be more than glad to pm with you since we've been down that road with Carleton. Glad to hear the good news about your knee and hope you can build up to walking 3/4 of a mile by next week.:crossfingers: Thinking of you and sending special thoughts for Amber.:vibes: :vibes: :vibes:

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with Mia6 Mia6 It does get harder and harder the older we get, and the longer we have our soul kitty.. any kitty..
Words are not adequate..
I am hoping, against hope that it is her thyroid.. but....
Please give Rick a hug from me... and you-a huge hug...

Please let us know what happens...
love

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Oh, no. :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: for Amber, I so hope it's thyroid or something that can be managed.

Congratulations on the knee surgery recovery, it sounds like that's going well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you so much for your comfort for Rick and I for Amber. She was a very special little girl, especially for Rick. She spent a lot of evenings, flopped on his lap on the couch. After Rick retired and I was still working, she was my alarm clock. I never once set a clock and I always awakened in plenty of time to get ready for work. She took her job very seriously, much to my dismay sometimes. And she didn't believe me when I told her that I was retired, too, and she didn't need to wake us up so early.

Last night, Mollipop started searching under the couch. She didn't find her and she let out a loud meow. Later on, Tabby was searching. When she didn't find her under the couch, Tabby jumped up on the couch and looked on Rick's lap. They knew. (Muffin? Muffin doesn't care as long as the food comes when it's supposed to! She's not close to any of the other girls at all.)

We don't know what happened to Amber. Her blood work was all normal for a 20-year old. Her thyroid was fine for a kitty her age. She just decided that she wasn't going to eat any longer. I found out that anorexia can happen to cats, too. Something happened to put her completely off any kind of food. We took her to the hospital, they kept her, and gave her subQ fluids. We brought her back home and she wouldn't eat. We took her back to the hospital on Monday; they kept her overnight with more subQ fluids. But she wouldn't eat for them either. We went down yesterday for a visit with her and, well, it was time. She couldn't continue.

Rick will be OK. It was difficult for him last night, but he knows it will be OK. Thank you so much.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Pam, my heart goes out to Rick and you. :hugs: I know what a special girl Amber was and how much she bonded with Rick. Take all the time you need to grieve, we completely understand. Hugs and special thoughts to both of you.:grouphug: