Study Finds (gasp) Cats Like Their Owners

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
There doesn’t really need to be a competition between cats and dogs. Different species, different ways of being affectionate and bonding.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think the problem is that humans tend to think no other species on the planet (other than humans and their pet dogs) has any feelings or sense of attachment . Yet just this morning I saw an article about a diver and a fish who is attached to him who comes out to greet him and allows the diver to kiss it. We must stop thinking that we are the only beings on earth who can feel pain, fear, affection, etc., etc. (And by "we," I don't mean the users on this site! I know how much we care :))
It seems too that a lot of people expect the animal to do all the work when it comes to a bond. They won't take two minutes out of their day to give their cat a pat and get them playing with a toy or holding them, so the bond doesn't form. The cat becomes an adult, gets set in their own routine, and people piss and moan because they use this as "proof" that cats are snobby and don't care about their owners.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think the problem is that humans tend to think no other species on the planet (other than humans and their pet dogs) has any feelings or sense of attachment . Yet just this morning I saw an article about a diver and a fish who is attached to him who comes out to greet him and allows the diver to kiss it. We must stop thinking that we are the only beings on earth who can feel pain, fear, affection, etc., etc. (And by "we," I don't mean the users on this site! I know how much we care :))
Sorry to hijack my own thread, but since you mentioned a fish, it got me wondering...
I always felt that animals that bond readily with humans are animals that in nature normally have a mommy that cares for them while they are young. That's the way that they learn what love is. But you mentioned a fish which I don't think is looked after by a mum, so what do you guys think? Do critters like fish, snakes, lizards, frogs, turtles, etc. actually form loving bonds with people? If they do, where does it come from? I mean it doesn't seem like they are hardwired by nature to be affectionate. Just curious.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I suppose a pet fish or turtle like we have in our classroom might recognize who they're getting food from? Like good things happen when this person is around? Is it affection? I'm not sure, but it's a bond of a type I'd think.

A fish in an ocean I'm not sure about.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Leomc123 Leomc123 *Exactly!* That's a bigger, sweeter smile than ANY human's I've ever seen! What a sweet faced cat!!!
weebeasties weebeasties and Lari Lari , well, those species are not mammalian, so they aren't wired the same way as we and other mammals are in terms of raising their young, but some are very, very social, so even if we don't recognize sameness, they do have attachments to one another. It would also depend, I would think, on the species and on the individual, just as it does in humans, some of whom are not social and not affectionate at all, and some of whom are. I haven't really noticed any definite affection in the goldfish and the cichlid in my life in the past, but I may just not have recognized it. I do know they were right up at the waterline in front of me when it was feeding time...:fish::popworm:
And in the Mojave there were two collared lizards whose territories were on either side of our garage door. They didn't exactly blow kisses, but they were around a lot. Slither, "our" resident Pine-Gopher snake, was amazing, and I cared a lot about this snake, but was never sure how (s)he felt about me.
IMG_0998.JPG

With cats, though, there's never any doubt at all in my mind. I've shared life with many cats, and I ALWAYS know they love me. :redheartpump: :yess:

bengalcatman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It seems too that a lot of people expect the animal to do all the work when it comes to a bond. They won't take two minutes out of their day to give their cat a pat and get them playing with a toy or holding them, so the bond doesn't form. The cat becomes an adult, gets set in their own routine, and people piss and moan because they use this as "proof" that cats are snobby and don't care about their owners.

That should be mandatory reading for every cat owner.

Entire books have been written about cat care, fixing problem cat behavior and cat interactions with humans. And not one of them contains 1/10th the information you crammed into that paragraph.

Last edited:

bengalcatman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sorry to hijack my own thread, but since you mentioned a fish, it got me wondering...
I always felt that animals that bond readily with humans are animals that in nature normally have a mommy that cares for them while they are young. That's the way that they learn what love is. But you mentioned a fish which I don't think is looked after by a mum, so what do you guys think? Do critters like fish, snakes, lizards, frogs, turtles, etc. actually form loving bonds with people? If they do, where does it come from? I mean it doesn't seem like they are hardwired by nature to be affectionate. Just curious.
Some fish do care for their young Linky This is instinctual behavior that helps a species to better succeed at reproduction in its particular niche.

"Love" between species is difficult to effectively define. The concept of "Bond" is scalable (meaning the term can be rated on some scale like 1 - 10) and "bond" is the more accurate term. That said, fish lack the sheer number of neural connections required to effectively create even the minimal definition of bond. Fish/reptile/amphibian behaviors that are often attributed to "bonds" are simply food/reward motivated. Fish/reptiles/amphibians do not bond with their caregivers.

As the number neural connections increase, social interactions generally become more complex (and more difficult to definitively assess) eventually reaching the point where bonding can occur. Cats are certianly capable of forming very strong (and measurable) bonds with humans. Depending on your perspective, there may effectively be no difference between a "very strong bond" and "love."

The act of caring for young in species with higher numbers of neural connections is instinctual behavior too. However, the greater number of neuronal connections allows for complex social interactions and subsequently: bonding.

The literature supporting this makes for some dry reading. This is a rapidly developing area of research that continues to surprise, and is continuously sensationalized by popular press.

In short: your cat loves you and wants to be near you. Your turtle knows you are the thing that drops food into the terrarium, and swims over to you to get the food faster.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some fish do care for their young Linky This is instinctual behavior that helps a species to better succeed at reproduction in its particular niche.

"Love" between species is difficult to effectively define. The concept of "Bond" is scalable (meaning the term can be rated on some scale like 1 - 10) and "bond" is the more accurate term. That said, fish lack the sheer number of neural connections required to effectively create even the minimal definition of bond. Fish/reptile/amphibian behaviors that are often attributed to "bonds" are simply food/reward motivated. Fish/reptiles/amphibians do not bond with their caregivers.

As the number neural connections increase, social interactions generally become more complex (and more difficult to definitively assess) eventually reaching the point where bonding can occur. Cats are certianly capable of forming very strong (and measurable) bonds with humans. Depending on your perspective, there may effectively be no difference between a "very strong bond" and "love."

The act of caring for young in species with higher numbers of neural connections is instinctual behavior too. However, the greater number of neuronal connections allows for complex social interactions and subsequently: bonding.

The literature supporting this makes for some dry reading. This is a rapidly developing area of research that continues to surprise, and is continuously sensationalized by popular press.

In short: your cat loves you and wants to be near you. Your turtle knows you are the thing that drops food into the terrarium, and swims over to you to get the food faster.
Depends on your perspective, I guess, bengalcatman bengalcatman , as to whether it's "dry reading" or not. Personally, I find it deeply fascinating. ;)

Silver Crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That should be mandatory reading for every cat owner.

Entire books have been written about cat care, fixing problem cat behavior and cat interactions with humans. And not one of them contains 1/10th the information you crammed into that paragraph.
You guys are hitting the nail on the head.
I find there is a dependency, a basic bonding and a real deeper bonding that can occur with your cats that nobody in this science driven world has never explained or incapable to explain. I have had a leopard that I only met a day before huffing and barking for me to come to her cage every time she saw me simply because we simply "shared" an experience (just a leaf blowing about that she saw and I brought it to her to sniff and see and we both prodded and poked it for about 10 minutes) but lots to explain why this occurred.
Should do a post where we can explore this deeper and exchange a few ideas and concepts.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You guys are hitting the nail on the head.
I find there is a dependency, a basic bonding and a real deeper bonding that can occur with your cats that nobody in this science driven world has never explained or incapable to explain. I have had a leopard that I only met a day before huffing and barking for me to come to her cage every time she saw me simply because we simply "shared" an experience (just a leaf blowing about that she saw and I brought it to her to sniff and see and we both prodded and poked it for about 10 minutes) but lots to explain why this occurred.
Should do a post where we can explore this deeper and exchange a few ideas and concepts.
Absolutely. To my (frequently unscientific) mind, the applicable word is "love" ;) :lovecat4::yess:

GaryT

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
A lot of people are convinced that cats only like people, because we feed them.
Yes, I imagine feeding helps with the bond (he gives me great goodies to eat!) But, Theo will let me know when he wants to play. And he lets me know for sure that he is having fun playing with me. He is my companion. More than "just a cat". If someone doesn't like cats, that tells me a lot about the person.

Last edited:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I imagine feeding helps with the bond (he gives me great goodies to eat!) But, Theo will let me know when he wants to play. And he lets me know for sure that he is having fun playing with me. He is my companion. More than "just a cat". If someone doesn't like cats, that tells me a lot about the person.
YES. I know one person who doesn't like cats, because he had no education about their wonderful qualities growing up, and his "dislike" centers around sharp claws, from his own explanation. He doesn't KNOW cats. I'm convinced that anyone with a heart will LOVE cats if (s)he gets to KNOW cats. :yess: :noob: