Study Finds (gasp) Cats Like Their Owners

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Heard a story on the radio about a new cat study. Everyone seemed so surprised by the results. Cats can form attachments to humans! :rolleyes3:
Did they really need to conduct a study to figure that out? Even the reporter seemed shocked. Have these people ever met a cat before? It was as if they previously thought cats had no emotions at all! :mad:
It's depressing that so many people think of cats as "things" rather than living, feeling, sentient beings. The whole idea of the study seems ridiculous to me, but who knows, maybe there are now people out there who will look at cats in a different light. We can only hope.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Humans should be very afraid of the cats. One day they will take over the world. They have in fact already started in each of our household. Do you notice how we are there to clean after their poop, feed them, tolerate their swats in the middle of the night when they demand for something, ignore us when we talk to them, etc. I can almost imagine my cats giving orders to my dogs. :lol:

Seriously speaking, when I started my love affair with cats, I have learned to respect them more, know how my cats think, can also feel their pain even when they are good at hiding it. It is like an umbilical cord is attached to them. They are very intelligent creatures, and very mysterious at the same time.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I often find myself trying to tell people that cats aren't "useless pets". If you interact with and get to know your cat, they will be great companions. I feel sorry for the cats who go to homes, where it's treated like a piece of furniture. It's better than a shelter or the streets, and I'm sure it gets some attention but still... Then of course, they turn into the stereotypical "fat lazy cat" that people think they are. They wanted a pet but wanted an "easy" pet...yet another misconception. An animal who is more independent, does not make them an "easy pet". It's just a different approach to caring for them.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
"Cats can form attachments to humans!".......... really?

View attachment 301915

I will have to tell Arnold....when he eventually wakes up.

Lol. This makes me think of Bourbon. I woke up last night with her lying on my chest, looking down at me (so I took this picture). What was she thinking? Was she planning something sinister? I don’t know.
3A235165-0E49-46F6-B5CF-EF4CDB4206A6.jpeg

Sidewinder

"Say what, crackerhead?"
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I suppose all I really need to know about cats is the "fact" that they me very HAPPY! Not too many things can do that these days...and I am so thankful to have them in my life.
"HEAR, HEAR!!! I second this wise observation!!!" :yess:

Sure beats dwelling on crime, traffic, pollution, dwindling natural resources, dark money politics, the stinking globalist plot, etc., etc., ad nauseum... :barf:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
All our cats have had fond attachments to our family, sometimes one member more than others but nonetheless a mutual fondness. Our present guy, Carleton, is literally glued to me and visa versa. I could not think of what my life would be like without him. :lovecat2: As for being a dog owner too, our last cat was attached to the dog and he was equally attached to her, they were like bookends. :greenpaw::bluepaw:

What irks me is when people think you don't need a pet sitter if you go away and leave your cat at home. They wouldn't hesitate to have a pet sitter for their dog but unfortunately don't realize that cats miss their owners just as much.

Last edited:

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Heard a story on the radio about a new cat study. Everyone seemed so surprised by the results. Cats can form attachments to humans! :rolleyes3:
Did they really need to conduct a study to figure that out? Even the reporter seemed shocked. Have these people ever met a cat before? It was as if they previously thought cats had no emotions at all! :mad:
It's depressing that so many people think of cats as "things" rather than living, feeling, sentient beings. The whole idea of the study seems ridiculous to me, but who knows, maybe there are now people out there who will look at cats in a different light. We can only hope.
What a shock! And here I thought they were just fur distributors.

lorie d.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Funny that you mention that. The same study had previously been done with dogs and the cats scored higher on the "attachment scale" than dogs did.
Dogs are man's best friend? Perhaps not!:D
I heard about the study being done on cats while watching Good Morning America about a week ago. I couldn't believe they actually thought there was a need to do a study about something that's so obvious to cat owners. Sweetie loves to cuddle and he gets anxious If I don't cuddle with him at certain times. IMO cats have the exact same need for human interaction as dogs but they have much subtler ways of showing it which makes them misunderstood.

:) And the day after GMA showed the study on cats, they showed the one on
dogs! :lol:

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
That was something to read and to think of as news to any of us. I have heard that since most people see cats as having an expressionless face, they believe that there is no emotion behind it. They don't stick they tongue out and smile or pant at you like a dog and display affection differently. The fact that they don't knock people off their feet like Davy, the new brown lab in the neighborhood, must mean that they don't care. It also fuels the myth that cats can survive on their own without human care or can be abandoned because they are not loyal or attached like dogs.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That was something to read and to think of as news to any of us. I have heard that since most people see cats as having an expressionless face, they believe that there is no emotion behind it. They don't stick they tongue out and smile or pant at you like a dog and display affection differently. The fact that they don't knock people off their feet like Davy, the new brown lab in the neighborhood, must mean that they don't care. It also fuels the myth that cats can survive on their own without human care or can be abandoned because they are not loyal or attached like dogs.
Which is weird because we have a whole thread dedicated to the expressions their faces make!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Actually, cats are the nation's and the world's most beloved companion animal, with millions more in US homes than the next most popular, a distant second, dogs. There is a concerted effort on the part of the dog people to jam them down our collective throats, and the gullible will believe it, because they believe anything they see or read in mainstream media. Dog supplies generally cost more than cat supplies, which I suspect is one of the main reasons why this has been happening for the last couple of decades or so. But it's not true of all of of us that if a lie is repeated often enough, everyone will believe it. I know different! and so do the rest of us who prefer our cats. The bond I share with cats started with my conception, as I was born into a home "with cat" and people on both sides of my family, of both genders, have always loved, rescued, and adopted cats, as far as I know.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some of these studies are so stupid. "Studies show that oxygen helps prevent death." "Studies show the #1 cause of death is dying." "Studies show that wearing clothes in public helps lower the probability of being arrested." etc. etc.
People will watch things like the Dog Whisperer for hours to understand their dog but won't spare 20 minutes to watch an episode of Jackson Galaxy to help understand their cat. :dunno: